Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, all - About a year ago, I embarked on a development project using an STM32F207 (a Cortex-M3) device. I looked into using Linux (asked some questions in this thread ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

revisit: Linux for an STM32F207 device?

Hi, all -

About a year ago, I embarked on a development project using an STM32F207 (a Cortex-M3) device. I looked into using Linux (asked some questions in this thread in this forum) but chose a proprietary OS since I was new to many aspects of the project, and wanted something with some (paid-for) customer support.

Now, the powers-that-be want me to revisit Linux. I'm posting this in hopes that maybe one or more of the following has transpired in the last year:

1. there have been advances in the ease of building Linux for this device
    2. someone else on the forum might have some more information
    3. I've become somewhat less clueless in this area

So...can someone help me get started in this area? A tutorial would be nice, but essentially I could get by with recommendations on:

- tool selection
    - source code for this device
    - build instructions

I'm going to assume for now that I can use EWARM and the SEGGER device to load my system onto the board.

Thanks very much for any help you might provide.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mzimmers View Post
    Hi, all -

About a year ago, I embarked on a development project using an STM32F207 (a Cortex-M3) device. I looked into using Linux (asked some questions in this thread in this forum) but chose a proprietary OS since I was new to many aspects of the project, and wanted something with some (paid-for) customer support.

Now, the powers-that-be want me to revisit Linux. I'm posting this in hopes that maybe one or more of the following has transpired in the last year:

1. there have been advances in the ease of building Linux for this device
    2. someone else on the forum might have some more information
    3. I've become somewhat less clueless in this area

So...can someone help me get started in this area? A tutorial would be nice, but essentially I could get by with recommendations on:

- tool selection
    - source code for this device
    - build instructions

I'm going to assume for now that I can use EWARM and the SEGGER device to load my system onto the board.

Thanks very much for any help you might provide.
    You can try uCLinux; here is a good starting point for running it on STM32 - even if it is on a F1 mcu:

search on st.com: application_note/CD00242717.pdf

sorry, but I'm not allowed to post external links

Just Joined!
    Thank you both. One thing that I've discovered so far -- it appears that any flavor of Linux that I might choose will need about 8MB of DRAM -- does anyone disagree with this?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    That would seem to be about a minimum to me. My ARM development (PC-104) board has 64MB of RAM. Debian works well with that, leaving about 50MB of user space after booting.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    The document I referred to is about running uCLinux on a STM3210E-EVAL board, featuring 1MB of SRAM. Sorry not to be able to provide you with more info, but I run only bare-metal and free-RTOS on that kind of mcu.