Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok so a friend of mine decided to build a PC and he wanted to try linux out. Once the PC was built he tried connecting to the internet with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No internet on linux (friend's PC)

Ok so a friend of mine decided to build a PC and he wanted to try linux out. Once the PC was built he tried connecting to the internet with no luck on his router so he brought it to my house and still no internet from my router. The wireless card is picking up all of the wifi routers in the area and we also tried connecting it wired through mine and his internet. We use different types of internet and in different cities. What could be the problem? I'm reluctant to say but i somehow think it is the motherboard which is UEFI but i have secure boot disabled and looked everywhere for something that might be hindering the connection. I have had about 4 or 5 PC's connected to linux and he even bought a cheap laptop and it connected through linux on his router but just not his PC. His motherboard is a Gigabyte 970a ds 3. Any help would be appreciated!!

Edit: forgot to mention that the internet works fine on windows 8 and we have tried multiple distro's with the same outcome. No other devices in the house have any issue logging into the router, even his linux laptop logs in perfectly. This is the wifi output when doing lspci | grep Network from his PC.

Realtek semiconductor co. Rt8188ce 802.11b/g/n WiFi adapter (rev 01)
    Last edited by sykotikKali; 07-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Linux Guru
    You probably will want to start here.

Just Joined!
    Thank you. Sorry I'm a n00b lol. I think I may have figured it out though. Problems with the 64bit kernel

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Here is a great site also for Linux wireless help: wireless.kernel.org
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thank you!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2