Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Buying a stripped down computer

I'm looking to build a gaming computer. Since I already have a plethora of misc. computer parts, I want to buy just a computer, without a hard drive, power brick, graphics card, or a disk drive. Maybe not even RAM. I don't know where one would buy just the MOBO by itself.

And if you're wondering what kind of power ill need, the most power hungry game I'd probably play would be like a FPS or simulator of some kind. I'd mainly play indie games though.

i haven't done this in a while, but my favorite online retailer was always NewEgg.com. they had great inventory, reliable shipping, decent prices, and good customer service. to be cost-competitive, i would determine all the parts i need, then look them up at http://www.pricegrabber.com/computers/, which displays the prices for many competing online (and sometimes brick-and-mortar) retailers - does a lot of leg work for you. but to keep shipping prices down, i usually went w/newegg for most things.

nowadays, though, Amazon has pretty much EVERYTHING, as long as you are not too exotic or cutting edge in your desires.

good luck!

Some components TigerDirect is better than NewEgg , but check both sites as well as Amazon.

You will probably spend less just buying a good used computer and start from there.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    +1 for using Tigerdirect.com or newegg.com for parts.
    Registered Linux user #526930