Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm about to configure two servers, both are HP ProLiant 380 G8's. They have exactly the same firmware version, RAID controllers etc. Both are configured with a RAID 6 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Two identical servers, only one work with GPT?!

Hi!

I'm about to configure two servers, both are HP ProLiant 380 G8's. They have exactly the same firmware version, RAID controllers etc. Both are configured with a RAID 6 (12x600GB) and the distribution to be used is RHEL 6.2.z.

With one of the servers I have no problem at all going through with my desired configuration:

conf.jpg

But the other one defaults to maximum MBR size...

If anyone has an idea of what is wrong, please let me know!

Cheers!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Please repost the image with a larger format. Yours is not readable.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Sorry! Here follows a text formatted beauty of the same picture!

LVM Volume groups
    ____vg1____________153596
    _______lv_root______51200_________ext4
    _______lv_home_____51200_________ext4
    _______lv_swap_____51196_________swap

____vg2___________________5569132
    _______lv_test1____________1800000_____xfs
    _______lv_prod1___________1800000_____xfs
    _______lv_utv1____________1800000_____xfs
    _______Free_______________169132

Hard Drives
    ____sda
    _______sda1_______________200_________ext4
    _______sda2_______________153600______vg1 physical volume (LVM)
    _______sda3_______________5569135_____vg2 physical volume (LVM)

Haven't had any progress with this so far. Any help would be of great value! Thank you!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I still don't know what your problem is. The MBR is usually meant to mean the Master Boot Record - the first sector on the system disc. That would be the /dev/sda hard drive, and the first partition is likely the /boot partition, the second is vg1, and the third is vg2. So, you need to provide more information, as well as how you are actually configuring your system(s) - the actual steps you physically take to do so.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I still don't know what your problem is. The MBR is usually meant to mean the Master Boot Record - the first sector on the system disc. That would be the /dev/sda hard drive, and the first partition is likely the /boot partition, the second is vg1, and the third is vg2. So, you need to provide more information, as well as how you are actually configuring your system(s) - the actual steps you physically take to do so.
    This is the definition from Wikipedia "The concept of MBRs was introduced in 1983. With storage volumes now commonly exceeding 2 TB, it has become a limiting factor in the 2010s. The MBR partitioning scheme is therefore in the process of being superseded by the GUID Partition Table (GPT) scheme in new computers. A GPT can coexist with a MBR in order to provide some limited form of backward compatibility for older systems."

The problem I'm having is that one of the two servers is not accepting that I'm creating volumes exceeding 2TB during the installation. On the one that worked as expected I had no problems partitioning the Raid-volume as presented in the previous post. The other server defaulted to the maximum size of the MBR partitioning scheme of ~2TB. So the problem is that I am not able to create volumes greater than 2TB on ONE of my servers.

To solve this for the moment I decided to create two hardware based logical volumes (presented to Linux as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb), one for the OS, home dirs and swap (tot. 150GB) and one for the data (~5,4TB). By doing this I was able to partition a volume greater than 2TB. But I still was not able to create it during the install. Instead I left /dev/sdb untouched during installation and labeled it for GPT usage with parted (mklabel gpt) after boot.

I'm not able to find any differences in the Raid controller limiting the usage of larger volumes, but it sounds to me like there is something I've done wrong here.

Can you tell the installer to use a GPT instead of MBR then? There is support in the kernel for it. If not, then you will have to manually set up the array by booting into a Live/Rescue CD/DVD/USB drive, use fdisk to modify the boot record, create your partitions, and then install with the manual partitioning option.

You had to do this with RHEL 5, but I'm not sure about 6, even though I run Scientific Linux 6 (a RHEL 6 clone) - my system drive is less than 2TB...