Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'd like to get a 10 gigabit network card that works with Ubuntu 12.10 (kernel 3.5.0) out of the box, so ideally no manual installation of any extra drivers; ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recommendations for a 10Gb n/w card?

Hi,
    I'd like to get a 10 gigabit network card that works with Ubuntu 12.10 (kernel 3.5.0) out of the box, so ideally no manual installation of any extra drivers; all driver support should already exist in the kernel. It needs to use multimode fibre (no copper or single mode fibre), have a PCI-E interface and ideally two ports. Any recommendations (and equally, what to avoid) gratefully received.
    Thx

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Look at the kernel configuration file to see if a 10gbe card is configured into the kernel. You will find it in /boot/config*. If not, most major manufacturers of these high-end cards, such as Emulex, will have drivers for server-class systems, such as RHEL, and possibly Ubuntu. You would need to visit their web sites to be sure. Kernel drivers for RHEL vs. current Ubuntu systems are very different. 1 gigabit ethernet - no problem (my motherboard has 2 ports). 10 gigabit, not so standard. It is still pretty leading edge. You also need the support hardware to handle the throughput such devices enable, and 2x 10gbe is going to saturate the I/O of most any but the highest capacity (and most current) motherboard buses. IE, you don't just slap one of these babies into just any system and expect good results!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!