Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I play on Windows 7 right now using this computer: core 2 duo e8600 1.86ghz nvidia geforce gt610 2gb 2gb ram For this computer what would be the best distro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

best Linux Distro for me?

I play on Windows 7 right now using this computer:
    core 2 duo e8600 1.86ghz
    nvidia geforce gt610 2gb
    2gb ram

For this computer what would be the best distro of linux for good minecraft performance?

Just Joined!
    The short answer is it doesn't matter. If all you want is good minecraft performance you can pick any operating system and they will basically all work about the same. If you want to start learning about linux and how it works a good distro to start with is Ubuntu.

Hello and Welcome!
    I don't mess around with MineCraft, so I have no first hand experience to give. But I've heard good things about MineOS.
    Here is a little information on it: Mine OS - easy minecraft hosting solution
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I'd suggest a lightweight distro that's easy on RAM. Lubuntu is a good one. I'm not sure if Linux Mint still comes in Xfce flavour, but that would be good too. Both of these distros would require little to any screwing around to get things working.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by metrize View Post
    I play on Windows 7 right now using this computer:
    core 2 duo e8600 1.86ghz
    nvidia geforce gt610 2gb
    2gb ram

For this computer what would be the best distro of linux for good minecraft performance?
    Hi

I would recommand LinuxMint for any linux newcomer, It's one of the easiest to use, and because it's based on Ubuntu, you'll find easy support, packages, howtos...

Just, one question. Intel E8600 is supposed to run at 3,33 MHz, and you're running at half that speed. Did you set up your BIOS accordingly ? Do you have any problem with your CPU fans ?

You have more then enough power there to run just about any Linux Distro that you want. That being said I like the Unity Desktop Environment over KDE, LXDE or Xfce because it's simpler for me to get around on, very intuitive and it's the one you get with Ubuntu 12.04LTS which IMHO is about the best Distro for us "non-power" users. I've tried all the rest and with most of em' I just feel lost when I need to do something simple like change the clock from military time to standard time or when I need to find an app that I've downloaded. With Unity it's simple, just go to Dash and you'll find what you've downloaded through Terminal or you can even download with the Ubuntu Software Center.
    I'm pretty much sold on Ubuntu 12.04LTS as my Distro of choice.

RE: what would be the best distro of linux for good Minecraft performance?
    Try Fedora 11, 17 or 18; Ubuntu 10.9 or 12.10 or Mint 14.
    Download MineCraft from here: https://minecraft.net/download
    and save the file Minecraft.jar on your computer.
    Install the OpenJDK Runtime Environment.
    In the search box of the package installer (Add/Remove Software or s.th.) write: openjdk
    After installing OpenJDK Rintime Environment right click on Minecraft.jar and open Properties - Permissions, and check the check-box of Allow Executing File as Program
    Then rihgt-click on the file again, and choose Open with OpenJDK Java Runtime.
    You can do this on any linux that has OpenJDK Runtime Installed.
    The best linux distro is the one that you have been accustomed to ... and that supports audio surround in this case.
    If you don't have audio, see which is the chip of the audio processor, go to the OEM web site and download the OEM linux driver. Install gcc, compile the drivers and patch the kernel.
    Most probably you will have various problems with the different distros - just choose one and try.

Actually this question is inavlid to the forum, for it cannot be solved as you imagine.
    The only way to solve this problem is by means of the trial & error method for problem solving (install different distros & find the best one by making assessments).
    You should have also a math definition of better ... & best.
    This is classical optimisation min-max problem:
    load times = MIN
    functionality = MAX
    flaw resistance = MAX
    accessability = MAX
    performance = MAX
    Assign a quantitative scale of 1-10 to assess the quality measurements (tragedy - very poor - poor - quite fair - fair - good - very good - excellent - outstanding - mind blowing).
    For each distro write the assessments on a sheet of paper.
    You can put weight factors (w1, w2 ... w10, where w1 + w2 + ... + w10 = 1, if you wish) to give preferences of some qualities to the others.
    Making the problem calculable you can even assign to an external machine to install distro-after-distro and to issue the assessments automatically.
    You can launch a whole business out of this optimisation problem.
    Last edited by user-f11; 08-03-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: syntax

Just Joined!
    Hi there, I'm in the same boat over here! Ive been looking for a distro (Similar HW to OP) and attempted to install Ubuntu 13.04 last night but apparently it won't work with the Nvidia graphic card. Any ideas for a distro that is Nvidia compatible? I'm a mega noob to this so go easy on me!

RE: ... but apparently it won't work with the Nvidia graphic card
    How did you come to know this.
    Open the package installer (Add/Remove Software - somewhere behind the 'mosaic' pictogram).
    Write in the search box: nvidia
    and install Xorg X11 nouveau video driver for nvidia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast