Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Biker puts his tinfoil teacher hat on. Point may pick it up depending on how the kernel is built and what .ko and firmware is in it. You will find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Biker puts his tinfoil teacher hat on.

Point may pick it up depending on how the kernel is built and what .ko and firmware is in it. You will find out in a live session I guess.

Linux Guru
    Try using Barrys simple network manager. If using wpa. It will show a window for using that and a password box.

I've reinstalled Wolfer 1.9.10, Drivers CD won't Autorun when put into the CD drive. Can't click anything on the CD to get it to run for the Set Up. Starting to feel a bit hopeless right now of ever getting this computer hooked to the Interweb.
    Is there a way I can provoke the CD to autorun from Terminal then close out Terminal and follow the GUI on the CD to set up the drivers? Is there a way I could just install the drivers from the CD to my system from Terminal?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I've reinstalled Wolfer 1.9.10, Drivers CD won't Autorun when put into the CD drive. Can't click anything on the CD to get it to run for the Set Up. Starting to feel a bit hopeless right now of ever getting this computer hooked to the Interweb.
    Is there a way I can provoke the CD to autorun from Terminal then close out Terminal and follow the GUI on the CD to set up the drivers? Is there a way I could just install the drivers from the CD to my system from Terminal?

You lost me there pardner. Sounds like a Windows driver cd. If trying to use ndiswrapper in Peppermint (as the above statement zooms supersonic over my head)

How to Install a Wireless Card in Linux Using Windows Drivers

Linux Mint Forums ? View topic - cannot install ndiswrapper-dkms

Read the reply on above link as well.

The little 3" CD has Windows, Windows CE, Mac OS X and Linux drivers on it. Since it won't AutoPlay the GUI doesn't come up to install the drivers so I'm stuck with a WiFi USB dongle that simply won't work because it has NO drivers.
    I've tried several Distros with no luck. Current installed Distro is WattOS but I guess since it's Debian based same as the others it won't have the proper drivers either.
    If I could get the little Drivers CD to run then it might give me the GUI to actually install the proper Linux drivers to get this $7 POS working but so far no luck.

Can you load Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Kubuntu 12.04? Should have the drivers.

Now that I've installed my old iMac 60GB HDD I have plenty of room for some of the bigger Distros and the 866MHz processor should be ok if not the best but at 348GB of RAM I'm still pretty limited. Once I get the other 256MB from ya' then I'll have a full 512MB and that'll open things up a bit. So, which Ubuntu flavor do you think would work on this old machine? Remember, I don't really care for Xfce or LXDE, but I guess I could suffer through one of em' to get things working, LOL

P.S.
    Ok, rather then waste another CD I found a copy of Xubuntu 12.04LTS that I'd burned a few weeks ago. I'm installing it as I type. On one of the install pages it did see the Ralink adapter, I checked the box telling it to use that to connect to the network but I really don't know if it did or not. All this stuff has been such a crap shoot, guess that's what you get when you're using such old equipment. I just hope I can get it connected, right now that's all I'm livin' for, LOL
    Last edited by TNFrank; 08-21-2013 at 07:48 PM.

My PIII-933MHz with 512 MB RAM and nVidia GeForce 2 runs Ubuntu 12.04 just great, the real limitation is it has no DVD, just CD (has 2 of those), it has run most everything you can put on CD pretty good. I do not have wireless on it, I prefer to hardwire my desktops.

The postal worker said you should have the RAM Friday, I'll PM the tracking # if you need it.

Extra RAM will be nice, thanks again.
    I got hung up at "installing System" with Xubuntu 12.04LTS so I'm going to burn a copy of Lubuntu 13.04 and see if that'll install. If nothing else I'm learning about installing a boat load of Linux Distros, LOL.

Yea, I had a few problems with some distros when I only had 348MB of RAM, I bought a 512MB RAM, that's how I ended up with the 256MB. 512MB seems to be the magic number for most distros.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast