Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Does this old system have USB 1.0 or 1.1? Reason I ask is because no matter how hard I try I can't get the USB/WiFi Adapter to work. It says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question about Dell L866r Desktop computer.

Does this old system have USB 1.0 or 1.1? Reason I ask is because no matter how hard I try I can't get the USB/WiFi Adapter to work. It says it'll work with USB 2.0 and 1.1, I thought it was detected when I installed Peppermint 4 OS but when I did the reboot to the system my WiFi was DOA and no matter how much I put my SSID and password in it'd simply not find the WiFi.
    I just wonder if this old Dell is USB 1.0 in which case the USB/WiFi adapter won't work.

See if

Code:
    lsusb -v
    will tell you.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Sweet, thanks. ls(list) usb and -v I guess it volume or velocity,LOL. That's one thing I love about Linux, hit the Terminal and you an do a ton of stuff.
    I'm also thinking if the USB/WiFi adapter isn't going to work with her desktop I can always use it as a second WiFi connection with my laptop. It picked it up right off and since it's 802.11n it'd be faster then the installed WiFi card which is 802.11g, also with the little antenna it should give me a little more range as well. Anyway, I'll hit the Terminal and see what I get.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Sweet, thanks. ls(list) usb and -v I guess it volume or velocity,
    The v is for "verbose". You get a more detailed description of everything.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I saw that when I did it. From what it said it's bsdusb 1.10 so it's USB 1.1. Not sure why the WiFi adapter isn't working. Like I said, Peppermint picked it up during install but after reboot WiFi no longer was there. I'm just going to have to find out what kind of PCI card I need for this old laptop to get WiFi for it.

Might be a Peppermint problem. Boot up another live cd like a recent Puppy cd with a newer kernel and just make a save session on shutdown , You will have to do wireless net twice in Puppy to get save to pick up your settings.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I have a CD of MacPup, would that be close enough to Puppy? Also, I kind of understood what ya' said but not really, remember I'm still somewhat of a Linux Noob,LOL. By the way, the WiFi adapter wasn't seen at all running MacPup, I really think it's a Driver issue but can't get the crazy included little CD to run to allow me to install drivers. I really think an actual PCI Card for WiFi might be a better way to go then trying to Micky Mouse a USB adapter to pick up the WiFi connection.

My version of Macpup 529 frugal install picks up a generic chinese usb wireless g adapter with a atheros chip in it OK. Desktop is 1.1 usb also. One thing lacking in this thread from peppermint when it worked was

Code:
    lshw -class network
    and

Code:
    lsusb -t
    but water under the bridge now I guess. We be just pounding sand up our butts on this thread.
    Happy Trails, Rok
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I wonder if Point Linux would pick it up? I've downloaded the Core version of Point so I could burn it to a CD for install. Of course if I couldn't get the WiFi working I'd be SOL for adding in all those other little "extras" that a person would need like Firefox, VLC, Clementine, Disk Utilities, Synaptic Package Manager(might come with Core, not looked at it yet) or other stuff that would be a download to add.
    I'm surprised that the WiFi adapter isn't being picked up, I plug it into my nc6400 and it'll see it right from the get go. Still not figured out how to transition from my internal WiFi card over to the adapter but at least I know my laptop will "see" it when it's plugged in.

Ok, just a quick update. MacPup detects the WiFi adapter but can't seem to find my network. It's not hidden and every laptop I've had finds it just fine so I wonder if the WiFi adapter just doesn't have that much range? It's only about 20 feet from the my DSL modem but it's through a few inner walls. Of course my laptops can connect from as much as 35 feet or more through all the inner wall. Puzzling, isn't it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast