Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've picked out all of the parts to the computer I plan on building. I just need to double check that they are compatible. I already have a disk drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building a computer

I've picked out all of the parts to the computer I plan on building. I just need to double check that they are compatible. I already have a disk drive and a hard drive, so don't worry about that.

Processor: AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail at TigerDirect.com

Motherboard:
    MSI 970A-G46 AMD 9 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX Ready (970A-G46) at TigerDirect.com

Graphics Card:
    Sapphire HD 7790 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - 1024MB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, Dual-Link DVI-I, Dual-Link DVI-D, HDMI, DirectX11, Overclocked (11210-01-20G) at TigerDirect.com

Power Supply:
    Thermaltake TR-600 TR2 ATX Power Supply - 600W, 120mm Fan, Cable Managment Optimized at TigerDirect.com

RAM:
    4GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for MSI (Micro Star) 970A-G46 Motherboard, CT4865401 from Crucial.com

BONUS QUESTIONS: Will it be fitting for my needs? I plan on playing a few new games. Kerbal Space Program, Bioshock, Overgrowth, are a few I'm interested in. I also plan to do some video editing, and programming. Will these cheap parts hold up for like 5 years?

As fast as the industry moves these parts will be old technology in 3 years.
    Don't get me wrong, you will still be able to use them.
    Last edited by Lazydog; 08-29-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    As fast as the industry moves these parts will be old technology in 3 years.
    Don't get me wrong, you will still be able to use them.
    Yeah, I'm aware. I think 3 years is plenty of time. But will they function together?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close