Find the answer to your Linux question:
My wife and I both have HP/Compaq nc6400 laptops. I had Elementary OS Luna on both of them and it seemed to be ok until hers started locking up while ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wife's laptop still locking up.

My wife and I both have HP/Compaq nc6400 laptops. I had Elementary OS Luna on both of them and it seemed to be ok until hers started locking up while she was on Firefox. Installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS and it seemed to fix the problem until tonight when it locked up again. I'm not sure what's going on because mine will run on just about anything without issue. I tried the System Test software that's in Ubuntu 12.04LTS and it found nothing wrong. I wonder if anyone knows of any free software I can use to do a system test on it to point to what the problem might be? I'd like to get this issue fixed because it really gets frustrating having to reboot her laptop whenever it locks up.
    Anyway, some help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like you need to buy the wife another laptop as it is beginning to sound like hardware failure. Running

Code:
    htop
    till it freezes and see what last was running before freezing or spiking or look in /var/log/dmesg for any hints. Maybe Hard Drive needs replacing. Test cds.

7 Free Hard Drive Testing Software Tools

Good one below

Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

Hard telling when Hardware goes south. Maybe swap your Hard Drive with hers and see if yours locks up would be the simplest test as they are both the same models.

Edit: Another good cd

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    Last edited by rokytnji; 08-29-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thanks for the links. It only seems to do it when she's on Firefox and not when she's playing Freecell. I have NoScript and Self Destructing Cookies installed as Add-Ons within Firefox but I do that on all my computers so I doubt that it's what's causing it. One time it did lock up when I tried to move the cursor while Jupiter Power Management was still loading up, wonder if Jupiter may be the problem?
    The HDD sounds fine, no strange noise coming from it, normally if it's going to fail you start getting the "click of death" or other such problems.
    I'll burn a couple of those Test CDs and see what I come up with. Thanks.

Also, did I mention that this only happens when she's on Facebook or surfing sites with a lot of Java/Javascript/Flash content. Like I said, I DO have NoScript installed but still, I wonder if some of the sites are trying somekind of Java exploit and failing because of NoScript and that's locking the system up?

Also, I did install and run Htop for quite a few minutes and even did a ClamTK scan(really stresses the CPU) and everything seemed to be running fine. I've just downloaded the CD and I'll make a Live USB using UNetbootin of the iso and see what that'll tell me.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 08-29-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Well, ran the Fujitsu HDD Diagnostic on my wife's Fujitsu HDD and everything is fine. Even did a memory test and it's fine too. I think it's just some web site doing something nefarious that's locking it up. All these laptops came from a reputable seller who deals in Corporate/Government trade ins and they fully test each and every one and give them a clean bill of health before they sell them.
    Still, I'll be keeping a close eye on how it performs just to see when it's locking up so maybe I can track down the reason why.

P.S.
    UBCD is a pretty awesome tool, got a Live USB of it and I'm burning it to CD as well. Thanks.

By a strange co-ink-a-dink I was watching ITPro.TV today and one of the shows was talking about computers that were running slow or locking up. They said the cause could be Memory Leak. I wonder if something in Firefox that's running in the background is leaking memory and locking the system up? It normally only locks up after my wife has been on the computer for a while and once I reboot it's fine for a little while before it locks up again. I guess I need to see where my log files are for memory use and see if it's all being taken up by something at one point or another which would show that something is leaking memory.

Ok, set up my system monitor and got it running while my wife was on the interweb. Laptop locked up but memory was still at 20% same as it always is so it's not memory leak from something running in the background.
    Seems to only lock up when she's going to do something graphically(like watching videos or looking at pictures on Facebook or looking at pictures of houses on Homes 4 Sale web sites) intensive and only in the interweb. I played an .avi of my grandson's High School graduation and it played without locking up so it's not the on board graphics, it has to have something to do with Firefox and the way it handles graphics. Something else that's odd, sometimes the wifi will kick off when it locks up.?????
    I honestly have no foggy clue as to why this is happening, I'm running the same model laptop and the same browser and have never had a problem.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 08-30-2013 at 08:51 AM.