Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a little media server that I just upgraded. It was running an old AMD processor with 1 gig of ram. I upgraded my mobo, processor, ram, video card, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

after hardware upgrade I cant connect to the net.

I have a little media server that I just upgraded. It was running an old AMD processor with 1 gig of ram. I upgraded my mobo, processor, ram, video card, power supply. I am now running a Intel Q9400 with 8 gigs of ram. I kept my hard drives (although I should upgrade those soon too.) I have everything setup just the way I like and was hoping I could just swap everything out and boot up and be happy....
    I was wrong, the first thing it didn't notice was the NIC. I cannot connect to my network now. It says that it cannot find my network card and that my current NIC is not supported. I imagine in I installed the OS again then it would work. I have had this mobo in another computer running the same OS. Is there a way to repair this without having to install everything again?

Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    I have a little media server that I just upgraded. It was running an old AMD processor with 1 gig of ram. I upgraded my mobo, processor, ram, video card, power supply. I am now running a Intel Q9400 with 8 gigs of ram. I kept my hard drives (although I should upgrade those soon too.) I have everything setup just the way I like and was hoping I could just swap everything out and boot up and be happy....
    I was wrong, the first thing it didn't notice was the NIC. I cannot connect to my network now. It says that it cannot find my network card and that my current NIC is not supported. I imagine in I installed the OS again then it would work. I have had this mobo in another computer running the same OS. Is there a way to repair this without having to install everything again?
    What OS?

installation - Ethernet card not detected on Ubuntu Server 12.04 - Ask Ubuntu

This looks promising, should be the same for most OS's/versions you probably have (most later versions of *buntu, debian, or mint).

I ended up just installing everything again. I had so much new hardware I knew I was going to run into more issues than it was worth. I went from a 32 bit system and upgraded to a 64 bit. Its much faster now. thanks for the reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    I ended up just installing everything again. I had so much new hardware I knew I was going to run into more issues than it was worth. I went from a 32 bit system and upgraded to a 64 bit. Its much faster now. thanks for the reply.
    Yeah I would have done the same, ha. Enjoy.