Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey All, I am interested in buying a new laptop that I plan on configuring so I can run Linux (Ubuntu) and Microsoft Windows 7 for home and for work. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Panasonic Toughbook vs. Lenovo Thinkpad vs. other for Ubuntu install..

Hey All,

I am interested in buying a new laptop that I plan on configuring so I can run Linux (Ubuntu) and Microsoft Windows 7 for home and for work.

I do some development in the Linux environment so I would like an Ubuntu machine. I would primarily be using the Linux environment. However, I also need some MS-specific applications for work, hence the dual-boot environment.

I currently use an older Lenovo Thinkpad T61 as my Ubuntu machine. Ubuntu runs great on this laptop. All of the device drivers seem to work (sound, video, USB, touchpad/pointing device, wireless adapter, Ethernet). I was even able to run Wireshark in promiscuous mode (needed for some stuff I was doing at work) using the wireless adapter after I installed some additional software (aircrack).

However, for my next laptop, I thought I might try a semi-ruggedized machine. I was thinking about trying a Panasonic Toughbook "business-rugged" laptop. I would like to have the bump and spill protection offered by this line of laptop.

Does anyone have any experience running Ubuntu on the Panasonic Toughbook laptops (F9 or SX2)? Do these machines work well under the Ubuntu distribution?

Should I just stick with a Lenovo or some other brand? I am an intermediate-type of user. I don't need anything exotic but I would like to have a Linux development environment and be able to make full use of the graphics, audio, and WiFi hardware on the device.

Thanks in advance.

Me, having old Thinkpads and a Panasonic CF-48. All run Linux. The CF-48 is a P4 with 1.2 gig of ram, 14" screen. The cable between inverter and back of lcd screen needs replacing but still works. It is very Linux friendly with intel internals.

The lighted keyboard and other perks on the panasonic are cool. As far as the models you refer to. I have no idea as I will probably not get me another panasonic. I find the IBM's are a better buy.
    Just my own opinion though. I own a Amrel Toughbook also that is very Linux Friendly and a M&A Companion Netbook that is toughbook like (water proof keyboard and kid proof) that is also Linux friendly.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home