Find the answer to your Linux question:
As most of ya' know I've gone Point Linux on all of my computers and on other computers(daughter's, friends laptop and desktop(having issues)) and things have gone ok for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Are we always going to have Printer and Graphic Card driver issues??

As most of ya' know I've gone Point Linux on all of my computers and on other computers(daughter's, friends laptop and desktop(having issues)) and things have gone ok for the most part except where printers and nvidia graphics are involved.
    First "problem" I ran into was when my daughter bought a new HP printer. I just couldn't get her computer to see the printer no matter what I did. Then, yesterday I had the same problem on my friends laptop with his HP printer. I pulled out my old LexMark P3150 and hooked it into my laptop today just to see if it was an HP issue or a Printer issue in general and even though it'll find it and I can load a "driver" for it it's still not right and won't respond to any commands at all.
    Are those of us without an IT Degree in Linux just doomed to not be able to use printers???
    Also, similar issue, friends older HP Pavillion desktop gave me fits trying to install Point Linux on it. Finally had to pull the hard drive and install it from my laptop. Still, when I try to run PL it'll get as far as a Startpar failure and some kind of Plymouth failure and that's as far as it'll get. I've tried editing Grub but it's still a no go. Funny thing is that I get the same failure on my laptops but I guess since I'm running ATI/Radeon graphics it'll still make it to the desktop using the drivers that's installed but since he has an nvidia graphic card it's just not going to allow the computer to boot all the way to the desktop.
    I've been having a pretty good run with Linux and I'm really lovin' it but these "little" issues with Printers and Graphics cards are really starting to get on my last nerve.

No problem here with NVidia. All of my nVidia have worked OOTB with Linux, non-NVidia graphics on older computers has been hit or miss depending on distro.

Which NVidia graphics cards are you having problems with?

Which HP printers are giving you problems?

Not really a Linux issue, some older hardware, etc. just doesn't get support from the manufacturers, some aren't even supported on Windows or Mac any more and don't even think about some old printers, etc. that were from 32-bit OS era working on 64-bit OS's, they just won't bother making 64-bit drivers for older peripherals.

I believe it's an Nvidia GeForce 6600 card since IIRC it's an HP Pavillion Media Center but I can't say 100% since it's not my computer and it's not here at the house where I can have access to it right now.
    As far as the printers go, one HP(my friends) was an older one(probably a couple years) but the one my daughter had was brand new so I don't think age is a factor. Also, as far as my Lexmark problem with drivers my laptop is 32bit and the Lexmark printer is an older printer so it seems that even the generic drivers should work but I get nothing, can't even scan which is very odd.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm really starting to think it was the way I installed Point Linux that was the real problem and not Linux in general. I installed to his hard drive via my laptop and a hard drive enclosure so I'm thinking that when I did the install Linux couldn't detect his hardware for the install.
    For some reason the DVD-RW drive won't read DVD's but it will read CD's so I just installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS onto the system and it's working great, took about two hours(very slow optical drive) but it's on and running and the "Install Additional Drivers" even picked up on the nVidia Graphics Card and got me the right driver. I just wonder why the DVD-RW isn't working with DVD's, it won't even play a DVD via VLC but it does fine with CD's.

Did you install restricted extras?

If by that you mean third party stuff, yep but I never had any problems with it before. Ubuntu 12.04LTS is running good on his desktop computer and I just ordered 2GB more RAM to put into it, that'll bump it up to 2.5GB by moving the two 256MB sticks over to slots 3 and 4 and putting the two 1GB sticks in 1 and 2. Should be plenty of RAM for surfing the net or doing homework(he has a couple kids in high school) so once that's done it'll be good enough to use.
    Much better then the borked Windows XP that was on it but didn't work.

You should be a package in the software center called restricted extras.

Or in terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Answer yes or ok when prompted.

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    You should be a package in the software center called restricted extras.

Or in terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Answer yes or ok when prompted.
    And this is for what, MATE desktop under Ubuntu or drivers for the DVD-RW?

That is how you install the restricted extras. Should have the drivers for your DVD-RW, did you even try it?