Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have two hard drives. The first one is working fine. The second one seems to be volatile. There are times when you access the hard drive from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Hard Drive Failure

Hi all,

I have two hard drives. The first one is working fine. The second one seems to be volatile. There are times when you access the hard drive from explorer, you can see all the files. There are times however that you will see that some files are missing. Then upon reboot, those missing files will show up. BIOS can detect the hard drive. I am sure that I will need to replace the failing hard drive but I would like to verify this.

Could someone tell me on what level (physical hardware or logical) is the point of failure is? What seems to have caused this issue?

The hard drive was purchased 1.5 years ago.

Have you run a fsck on the partition? That will pick up any logical errors (i.e. corruptions). Make sure it isn't mounted when you do it. It's also worth using dmesg|tail immediately after you access the drive to see if there are any kernel error messages which might indicate hardware problems.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!
    OK, I can't give you a definitive answer, but I've just had a hard drive fail on me after 8 or 9 years of faithful service. So I can at least sympathise. I want to watch this thread because there may be something helpful for me too. Backup what you can, of course, right away if you haven't already. If it's like my disk, it'll seem like you have time and some re-installs after fsck marks bad blocks, and it'll run for a while, but with some features/programs seemingly not present. The one day you simply can't get anything to install on it.
    I'm running a live MINT 15 right now till I can get a new disk.
    Best of luck with it.