Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Guys. I am unable to use my camera under Debian 7.2 Wheezy on a VirtualBox. I have provided images with information. The camera is unable to show anything else ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Laptop_integrated_webcam_2HDM does not work.

Hello Guys.

I am unable to use my camera under Debian 7.2 Wheezy on a VirtualBox. I have provided images with information. The camera is unable to show anything else apart from black screen. The LED does turn on when the tests are performed.

I have packages like libv4l-0 and libv4l-dev. And it says it is supported in ucvvideo(ideasonboard.org/uvc/) which is shipped with kernels that are somewhere >= 2.5. Kernel of Debian is around 3.2.

The camera does work on my Windows OS. I have no ideas Please help.

INFORMATION:

img31.imageshack.us/img31/1180/hisl.png
    img577.imageshack.us/img577/9581/9uq9.png
    img842.imageshack.us/img842/9730/g3l6.png

Sorry the restrictions cannot allow me to post links, those are via http

Download Cheese (sudo apt-get install cheese) and see if the camera is working. If it'll work under Cheese then there could be some other issues involved. I'm running an inexpensive webcam in my Point Linux install(Debian 7 with MATE desktop) and also under my Debian 7.2/Gnome 3 install without issues so I'm sure your "problem" isn't going to be hard to figure out since webcams will work under Debian. Hope you get this resolved.

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately it's the same.

img600.imageshack.us/img600/3579/rhcv.png

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most laptop cameras are actually usb devices. Have you enabled usb 2.0 in you VM, and have you looked to see if VirtualBox recognizes it when the VM is running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Most laptop cameras are actually usb devices. Have you enabled usb 2.0 in you VM, and have you looked to see if VirtualBox recognizes it when the VM is running?
    Yes, both. Otherwise it wouldn't even show up in there.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    With the VM running, have you tried to enable it in the devices menu of the VM? This is the VM management menus, not the operating system menus.

Just Joined!
    With the VM running, have you tried to enable it in the devices menu of the VM? This is the VM management menus, not the operating system menus.
    Yes. Otherwrise it would not show up in the OS in the first place.

Well, I have been able to use a number of USB web cameras in the past on my Linux system in a Windows VM. Have you been able to use it in native Linux? Can you get it do display via VLC, or other video playback/streaming software?

Just Joined!
    Well, I have been able to use a number of USB web cameras in the past on my Linux system in a Windows VM. Have you been able to use it in native Linux? Can you get it do display via VLC, or other video playback/streaming software?
    Sadly I am on Windows and the camera is (from it's obvious name) integrated. So I cannot confirm that .
    Last edited by roundpotato; 11-02-2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Wrong quote