Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, purchased a new scanner that uses USB or Firewire. I'd rather purchase a Firewire board and use that instead of USB as I'm using many of them now. So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Know of any Firewire boards supported or are being worked on?

Hi, purchased a new scanner that uses USB or Firewire. I'd rather purchase a Firewire board and use that instead of USB as I'm using many of them now. So looking for one being worked on, tested or in beta mode...

If you know of any being supported please advise.

Thanks

Jack

I have a couple of 4 port pcmcia cards that are firewire, mini firewire, and 2 usb 2.0 ports on them that AntiX supports on my IBM T23 and A22M Laptops.

Just mentioning this since you do not say if you want them for Desktop or Laptop. The Linux kernel has been supporting Firewire hookups as far as I know.

Also since usb 3.0. I don't think firewire is current technology anymore and is actively being built.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I've bought a scanner and it supports Firewire and USB 2.0. I was hoping to use it via Firewire, but it seems like it's hard to find that option around. Most of the Hardware docs state they don't support the standard. If this is outgoing technology, maybe I should just stick with USB 2.0 and leave it at that....

Thanks

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jkwilborn View Post
    I've bought a scanner and it supports Firewire and USB 2.0. I was hoping to use it via Firewire, but it seems like it's hard to find that option around. Most of the Hardware docs state they don't support the standard. If this is outgoing technology, maybe I should just stick with USB 2.0 and leave it at that....

Thanks

Jack
    I would use USB 2, Firewire is dying out and you're only talking a scanner so the extra throughput of FW isn't going do a lot. FW was good for constant streams of data like doing audio other things USB is fine. FW is yet another technology Apple pushed then abandoned. I got FW audio gear that I don't know what I'll do with.

Well, it seems like I'll just stick with USB 2.0... A couple of quick responses saying to go in the same direction. I never used FW even when I had a G5.

Thanks to the couple of people that replied, I will stick with USB.

Thanks again... I'll go ahead and close this thread..

Jack