Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I'm trying to get this UB445-U tv tuner usb adapter to work under linux. I did some research and found out that this device uses the cx231xx drivers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Problems getting the KWorld UB445-U tv adapter to work

Hello all.

I'm trying to get this UB445-U tv tuner usb adapter to work under linux. I did some research and found out that this device uses the cx231xx drivers and that the kernel 3.12.1 has the latest versioin of these drivers that supports this device. So, I downloaded the kernel source, configured it and compiled it. Too my utter disappointment, the device didn't work "out of the box". I decided to do some more research. It turns out that the default code in the cx231xx-cards.c file are looking for the USB device at the 0xe421 address, but according to lsusb, my device is at the 0xe43f address. Easy enough to fix, so I made the change in the cx231xx-cards.c file and did 'make modules; make modules_install'. Then rebooted.
    So, now, the drivers load on boot, but like most things in life, it just ain't that easy! I'm getting errors reported when I do dmesg. I did some more research on the errors and didn't find much help. Here's a snippet from dmesg with the errors I'm getting.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [ 11.383729] s5h1411_readreg: readreg error (ret == -32)
    [ 11.383741] cx231xx: Failed to attach s5h1411 front end
    [ 11.383743] cx231xx: Cx231xx dvb Extension initialized
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did some poking around in the source code again and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

I have a feeling that when I changed the USB_DEVICE from 0xe421 to 0xe43f I broke something. Is there a way to tell linux to use a different address for a device?

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by bigwolf; 12-03-2013 at 10:36 PM.