Find the answer to your Linux question:
Currently I'm running 3 HP/Compaq nc6400's all with Core Duo 1.83GHz processors and all with 2GB of DDR2-533MHz RAM. I'm running Point Linux on all of them except for my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Do I really need more RAM??

Currently I'm running 3 HP/Compaq nc6400's all with Core Duo 1.83GHz processors and all with 2GB of DDR2-533MHz RAM. I'm running Point Linux on all of them except for my #3 play laptop which has Ubuntu/Gnome on it as a dual boot system. All seem to be running fine, PL only takes up around 170MB for the desktop and Ubuntu/Gnome uses around 2MB. I don't play games on my system and if/when I do they're very simple games like Freecraft(warcraft knock off for Linux) or similar. I've found a decent deal on 2GB sticks of DDR2-533 and wonder if I should bump my primary up to 4GB or maybe my primary and secondary up to 3GB each since I can only get two sticks of the 2GB RAM. I also wonder if it's something I really NEED to do. I don't want to waste money on RAM that I'll never use but then again I know that generally more RAM is always better so, what do ya'll think. Yes or No on getting more RAM for my laptops and would you go 4GB in one or split it up and get 3GB in two laptops.

I'd say the answer lies in how you computer(s) are using what they have now. Monitor RAM usage and swaping for a week and it will answer your question. htop is nice tool to monitor things with.

I honestly don't think I've ever used up so much RAM as to have ever used swap. Linux being as "light" as it is I think I might be ok with 2GB but I just wanted a few more opinions before I spend money that I might not have to spend.

Processor speed comes into play when I convert a video from lets say .avi to mp4. Ram is not the issue for tasks like that at 2gig.

I'd say save the money for a laptop with a better more powerful processor or buy a cheapo old gaming Desktop with a 1/2 decent gpu and muti 4 core processor with the money
    you'd throw to bad with extra ram on those Compaqs. 1.8ghz is nothing now a days when 3ghz single core is considered old even.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Personally, I've rarely had an issue with RAM consumption. And I don't use high-end machines.
    A laptop with 2 GB RAM had no issues compiling programs from source. I had setup a swap file just in case, but I don't think it was ever really used.
    For general usage, I would say that 2 GB is enough. But as mentioned above, look at your memory usage for a while to get an average. If you see yourself consistently using 80 or 85 percent of your available memory, time to upgrade.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Even using Ubuntu/Gnome(desktop is a real memory hog) and having 4 tabs open in Firefox, one running a YouTube video, I'm using under 500MB of RAM so I think I'm good.