Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi People, I am running from a MINT 15 Live DVD because my main hard drive (250 GiB) failed. I can't even install on it, nor do a low level ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Repartitioning a drive with data on it.

Hi People,
    I am running from a MINT 15 Live DVD because my main hard drive (250 GiB) failed. I can't even install on it, nor do a low level format, (dd). Before it died it was showing mostly bad blocks near the start of the drive, but repartitioning 1/3 of it at the beginning as "Do Not Use" didn't help.
    I have a second drive 0.931 TB that is 29% full of data I'd like to keep and it's an (ntfs) file system. Is it possible to create a bootable partition on this second disc without loosing any of the data. I mean there used to be something that would do that on the old FAT16 systems, whereby you could pack the files at the beginning of the disc and then repartition the last part and install. I will get another hard drive eventually, but I'm elderly and retired so I'll have to save up for it. Things would just be a litle faster and easier if I could work from a hard drive again.
    Any tools to do that? I've got a partition editor available on the Live DVD but it can't tell me where the files are and I'd rather not destroy anything.
    By the way, I used to be a senior programming anaylst back in the days of "steam driven" computers.

Linux Guru
    Is the 1TB hard drive with ntfs all one partition?
    Do you have a windows operating system on the computer? If so, you should be able to shrink the ntfs partition to about 30% of the drive if it is 29% full. Don't cut it too close as there is no need with a drive that size. Is the 1TB drive just a data drive or do you have an OS on it? If you don't have windows, you should be able to do the same with GParted on Linux Mint. Is the ntfs partition at the beginning of the drive? You should be able to install Mint after you shrink the ntfs partition. During the installation of Mint, select the Something Else option so you have control and can create and format a partition for Mint. Select to install the Grub bootloader to the master boot record of the 1TB. You should see an option for 'Device for bootloader installation' in the partitioning window during install. Booting the Mint DVD, opening a terminal and running the command: sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command) and posting the output here would help.

Just Joined!
    Yes, the oneI TB is all one partition, I believe.
    I'll give this a try in a little while when I have time. No, there is no Window$ system on my computer. Hasn't been for about 12 or 13 years. I was running Linux MINT 15 previously, I'll get you the fdisk output later today, I intend to anyway. There is no O/S on that drive and the partition is at the beginning. I still have the old wasted 250GiB drive on the machine. I could remove it and configure the one TB drive as master. I suppose that would simplify things, yes?
    I tried rebooting and I used "compatibility mode" I almost had fsck going, but control was snatched away from me(?) and the system booted. I tried a root terminal from the menu and all I got to fsck with any options was "fsck from util-linux 2.20.1" So I came back here.
    I'm going to be busy for a while, but I'll be back about suppertime. Lots of cleaning to do.
    Last edited by Fred01; 12-09-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Just Joined!
    Ok I looked at the 1 TB drive with Gparted and it has a boot flag on it. The 250 GiB disk doesn't have a partition table, because it's so bad. I was all set to repartition the 1TB drive when I wondered if the boot flag meant that I shouldn't do it. So I chickened out. Can anyone say that this is reasonably safe to do? I might as well get rid of the damaged drive, right, because that's not doing any good any more.(?)