Find the answer to your Linux question:
Mint 9 Isadora, nVidia GeForce GT620 video card. This is an old desktop that I am slowly transitioning to my new desktop, but I'd like to get my dual booted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install nVidia driver

Mint 9 Isadora, nVidia GeForce GT620 video card. This is an old desktop that I am slowly transitioning to my new desktop, but I'd like to get my dual booted Mint (with WinXP) running properly in case I keep it or pass it on.

When my video card died and I installed a new one, my graphics settings reverted to something very basic and unacceptable - resolution choices only 640x480 and 800x600. I didn't know how to use any installed utilities to update to a new driver, so went out to the nVidia site and DLed the appropriate driver for Linux.

I also Googled and searched for help on this forum and most of what I turned up used "3rd Party Repository: xorg-edgers" with the following steps to install nVidia drivers:

sudo add-apt-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

However, replies to that post reported serious problems as well as successes, and searching on "3rd Party Repository: xorg-edgers" brought additional horror stories.

It's been a while since I DLed the driver "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-310.19.run" so there may be a newer one I should use, but don't know how to install it. Any links to a detailed set of instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose that alternately I could just install a new version of Mint.

Thanks!
    Optiker

Linux Mint Forums ? View topic - General End of Life Support Options

I would update from Isadora before anything else was tried.

Linux Mint Forums ? View topic - Installation of nvidia drivers UBUNTU / MINT - 7 ways!

I am not responsible for any breakage caused by you using a unsupported Mint edition with unsupported ppa's.

I suppose that alternately I could just install a new version of Mint.
    Yep. What he said.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    OK - thanks! Proceeding to install Mint 15.

Optiker