Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi advice appreciated please,I have been offered one of these machines- "Sun Ultra20 M2 64 bit workstation, dual Gigabit Ethernet, AMD 1222 dual core 3.0GHz CPU, 6GB memory, dual 250GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need advice on suitability of computer for linux install

Hi advice appreciated please,I have been offered one of these machines-

"Sun Ultra20 M2 64 bit workstation, dual Gigabit Ethernet, AMD 1222 dual core 3.0GHz CPU, 6GB memory, dual 250GB SATA, factory NVidia Quadro FX1700 (512MB/128-bit). Oracle Linux v6.4 installed. 3PCIe & 3 PCI slots, x16 PCIe used for graphics, 6*USB, 2*1394"

My plan would ideally be using it as a desktop with a Debian 7 install,

I am fairly new to linux and not technical when it comes to computer components so basically I am wondering would it be worth the hassle and if it was will it do whats its supposed to do at the end of it all

Just Joined!
    Hello,

I did a quick search on the Sun Ultra20 and Linux, and came up with this link: docs.oracle.com/cd/E19127-01/ultra20m2.ws/819-6583-12/solaris.linux.driver.install.html

It seems that it will run Linux just fine, because it lists both Redhat and SUSE. The link provided also has details on removing the Solaris OS, and setting the BIOS to boot to a Linux OS. While I have no experience with this directly.. it seems it will work.

I guess it all depends on the price you can get the machine for.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for that much appreciated!