Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rokytnji
Is there anyway I can download an app or something to test the battery that came with my Acer Aspire One? I've bought older laptops before and even with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Anyway to test a laptop battery?

Is there anyway I can download an app or something to test the battery that came with my Acer Aspire One? I've bought older laptops before and even with a bad battery they've taken a small charge and worked for an hour or so. This battery is totally dead, won't take a charge at all, I wonder if something needs to be reset or if there's anyway to test it to see if it's truly dead or what? Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    How old is the system and battery?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Posting this How to flash BIOS on Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbook. - YouTube

because of this How To Fix An Acer Aspire Netbook That Won't Charge - YouTube

Risky as heck by the way. The top video I made sure matched the 110 model you said you bought.

It seems that a bios reset is needed. If I am off on model number. Do your own research I guess. The second video shows how to flash the bios running in Windows using the
    .exe to do so while in Windows. The first link shows how to flash the bios using a external usb drive.

Just added research
    Acer Aspire One ZG5 won't boot up [Solved]
    Acer Aspire one ZG5 cant flash bios [Solved]

Maybe the cmos battery needs replacing also. Is the time in bios staying correct or does it need re-setting every few days or when power is disconnected?
    https://www.beercandle.com/entry.php?b=14

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to download the correct bios for your laptop model number. Failure to do so will brick the bios chip if you make a mistake like losing power during a bios upgrade/reflash or incorrect bios for model of AA0 ZG5 netook.
    jayd512 likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

One of the the upgrades I bought for my Eee PC when the battery started to fade was a big capacity one. It used to do over 8 hours, now it's more like 6+, but it's still excellent.

I know you probably want to fix the one you have, but also this might be an opportunity to get a longer lasting one.

Here is a supplier in the UK that still seems to have stock for your netbook. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get a similar supplier in the US. The 10,000 mAh ones are about twice as much as the 2200 mAh ones.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/