Find the answer to your Linux question:
Problem: I got an old OCZ Vertex LE that is dying. At random it will power off, or lock up. Unplugging the power cable and plugging it back in makes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to clone an SSD drive that keeps shutting off at random times?

Problem: I got an old OCZ Vertex LE that is dying. At random it will power off, or lock up. Unplugging the power cable and plugging it back in makes the drive reappear.

I need to clone the drive. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

I can't figure out if dd has a "infinite retries option", but I cant see it.

Looks like ddrescue is the defacto failing drive recovery program, but I don't want it going into "split and crawl" for the rest of the drive cause the program assumed that the rest of my drive is a gigantic failed cluster region when the drive powers off. Is there some way to tell ddrescue to stay in part 1 of the algorithm and just do inifinite retries (giving me time to unplug and replug the drive)?

Is there some other option that would work?

Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What does the s.m.a.r.t. controller show? I have cloned non-ssd drives with similar problems by using dd to copy the data to a file. Then, when it shuts down, I let it rest, restart it, and use dd to copy from the last position to a new file, etc. until all the data is copied. Then I concatenate it all into a new image which I can copy to a new device. A PITA for sure, but if done carefully it can preserve your data.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!