Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Ok, so maybe a new device isn't the answer. Maybe I should just upgrade my fastest laptop(I call him "Jr.") which is an HP/Compaq nc4400 with 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Let's talk SSD's.

Ok, so maybe a new device isn't the answer. Maybe I should just upgrade my fastest laptop(I call him "Jr.") which is an HP/Compaq nc4400 with 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo processor with an SSD. Currently with my Kali Install I'm using 16GB of hard drive space, of this I think half is swap space so actually I'm using around 8GB. Can't afford a big SSD so I'd be looking at a 32GB(doable) or maybe a 60-64GB(might be doable) to replace the 120GB HDD that's in it. Also, if 32GB is large enough I may, just may be able to get two of em' so I could have one in my #1 and one in Jr. then I can put the 320GB HDD from #1 to my #2 and sell the 80 and 120GB HDD's.
    I don't store anything on my laptops, I have a 500GB external hard drive for storage so it's just op system and maybe a few extras loaded onto it like UNetbootin, Clamtk, ect. No Music, photos or movies. So, could I get by with the 32GB SSD since that's twice the size of what I'm using now or should I try for the bigger one even though I'll never use the extra space? Thoughts, ideas, comments?
    Last edited by TNFrank; 03-22-2014 at 01:55 PM.

I've gotten by on my eeepc 900 with / on the 4gig ssd and /home on the 16gig ssd.
    Same on my eeepc 701SD with / and /home on a 8gig ssd.

So
    So, could I get by with the 32GB SSD
    Yep.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

That's one reason that I love Linux so much. Even a "heavy" Distro like Kali is still a lot lighter then the lightest Windows op system. I may just go the two, 32GB SSD route so my "daily driver" #1 and my back up, Jr. will both have SSD's, then my #2 can do any "heavy lifting" with the 320GB SATA HDD. Thanks.

8GB of swap? Why? I have 1GB of swap, and rarely use much of it. I've never seen it full. I do set swappiness to a low number, and that works for me. Even with an SSD, you'll see some lag during swaps, and with more than 1GB of RAM you should seldom need to use much swap, unless you're running some very memory-intensive applications. I'm currently running Debian on my chromebook, using a 32GB flash drive, and I don't even come close to using all of it. If you need to save lots of media files, you can do that in the cloud or on removable storage. The OS itself will probably work fine on 8GB, and 32GB is plenty.
    rokytnji likes this.

Yeah, I totally missed the 8gig swap thingy.

I never ran a /swap partition on my 2 gig of ram eeepcs and no problemo what so ever.
    So ya gotta give sgosnell a likey for catching that.

1 gig /swap should be plenty for 2gig ram dual core. I don't see you compiling kernels from scratch or
    using build-essential. But converting music and videos I bet is the hardest intensive thing you might be doing.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I just figured that half of the 16GB would be swap. Looks like it's not so, not sure why it's even saying I'm using 16GB when I'm really not. Looks more like 4.3GB for the Op System and 4.3GB for Swap. I have 2GB of RAM so I never get close to getting into Swap.

Here's the drives I'm thinking about getting.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/32GB-SSD-2-5...item35d3a81fee
    Attached Images Attached Images

I keep a ton of music and movies on this oldy but goody IBM A22M.

I could free up tons of space if I just deleted a few movies and all my mp3s and wavs.

You have /home in / like I do so you are using 16gig.

Code:
    harry@biker:~
    $ sux 
    Password: 
    bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
    bash: no job control in this shell
    root@biker:/home/harry# df -h
    Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                                                   18G   15G  2.2G  87% /
    udev                                                     10M     0   10M   0% /dev
    tmpfs                                                    51M  424K   50M   1% /run
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/f9b1a1b7-fe59-4b62-8e1a-8a6efd7efb1d   18G   15G  2.2G  87% /
    tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs                                                   314M  4.0K  314M   1% /run/shm
    root@biker:/home/harry# df -h /home
    Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/f9b1a1b7-fe59-4b62-8e1a-8a6efd7efb1d   18G   15G  2.2G  87% /
    This laptop is just my oldest beater that I just figure is good for travel when I am not worried about losing it.
    It does everything a high dollar unit does.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

So I am using 16GB of HDD space or what? I know my wife's (use to be mine but I let her have it when I sold the other laptop she was using,LOL) Netbook has a 32GB SSD in it and there seems to be plenty of space. So, would the Kingston 32GB SSD's be a decent way to go for someone like me who's not into keeping his "life" on his laptop? If so let me know and I'll get a couple of em' ordered out.

Sure go for it. You can always move files from /home on the 32gig ssd to usb or sd if you see it getting full.
    I just don't bother on this one because 2 gig is enough space for me to run dist-upgrade just fine.
    I cut it real close but if it errors out during a dist-upgrade and fails to boot because the drive is full.

I know what to do.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Pulled the trigger on two of the Kingston 32GB SSD's. Should be here middle of the week then I can reinstall Kali onto em' and get things set up. After that I'll put the 320GB drive in my #2 and probably sell the 80GB and 120GB or I just may keep em', never know when I might get a laptop that needs a hard drive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast