Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a powerful desktop running a amd 7970. I wish to run Arch linux on this computer. dual partition with windows 8. Is there any way i could install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dedicated Linux graphics card

I have a powerful desktop running a amd 7970. I wish to run Arch linux on this computer. dual partition with windows 8. Is there any way i could install an aditional Ge force gt 610 on this system and use it only when i boot into Linux and disable the amd 7970. and when i boot into windows disable that card and use the amd 7970 instead.

Any help would be aprecieated. thanks.

Or how is support for amd on linux these days. Would i have a stable system with the 7970? or is it not even worth trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Josemaria View Post
    I have a powerful desktop running a amd 7970. I wish to run Arch linux on this computer. dual partition with windows 8. Is there any way i could install an aditional Ge force gt 610 on this system and use it only when i boot into Linux and disable the amd 7970. and when i boot into windows disable that card and use the amd 7970 instead.

Any help would be aprecieated. thanks.

Or how is support for amd on linux these days. Would i have a stable system with the 7970? or is it not even worth trying?
    I've never tried the dual-videocard approach before, so I can't comment. But I can answer your second question...

I use AMD on my (6mth old) motherboard/cpu combo - it's an AMD A8 with built in graphics. I can't use the proprietary AMD/ATI driver as it doesn't work with the video chipset. But the Open Source one that comes with Fedora (my chosen distro) works excellently. I can use the 3D acceleration, and performance is on a par with my previous nVidia 450 GT (I think that's what I had...)

Of course, you might not be able to use the built-in driver with your video chipset, I don't know whether it's supported, I'm just sharing my experience.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    So no one knows anything concering the dual gpu setup?

maybe you need to go here (to AMD) and research and/or ask, as a suggestion.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"