Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have quite a few USB sticks from 8GB up to a 32GB Kingston that I picked up on sale at Office Depot. I have two that are 8GB Transcend ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

"Bad" USB Sticks.

I have quite a few USB sticks from 8GB up to a 32GB Kingston that I picked up on sale at Office Depot. I have two that are 8GB Transcend sticks that just seem to not work with trying to make a Live USB stick out of them.
    I used the same .iso and UNetbootin to try to make a Live USB on one of the Transcend sticks and it gave a boot error, tried it on a Sansdisk and Bob's your Uncle, worked like a charm.
    The Transcend sticks seem to work ok for data like pics or text but for some reason they just don't work very well if at all when trying to make a Live USB.
    Has anyone else had trouble with Transcend brand USB sticks? Is there any way to reformat them to "fix" them so they'll work or is it just a flaw in their design or something?
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Linux Newbie
    Some of those sticks have stuff on them to invoke some automatic synching software.

Have you tried completely re-formatting them into one partition?

I've reformatted them many times. What I might try is to format them "empty" and then test them to see if they're good or bad. Then I can reformat them to FAT.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Just Joined!
    From time to time I've had issues with a variety of Flash drives. Often times there are hidden partitions which can be exposed through various partition editors mostly Linux based. If all else fails I reformat with one of my Window$ capable machines then reformat them again thru Linux before use.

I can't for the life of me remember which Partition manager gives you the option to display HIDDEN partitions but then again I don't need or use them a great deal. It might be the one which is used by Clonezilla. Maybe someone else here will supply you with that info.