Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am planning to build my first desktop machine and I will be using it for development and some heavy computing (machine learning models). I want to run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    who
    Just Joined!

Building a development machine with Linux...questions :(

Hi All,

I am planning to build my first desktop machine and I will be using it for development and some heavy computing (machine learning models).

I want to run Linux on it and was wondering how do I make sure the motherboard is compatible?

Here is my configuration that I am planning to :

Linux Flavor (ubuntu most probably)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K

Motherboards:
    Gigabyte GA-B85M - B85 chipset - LGA1150
    Asus Z87-A LGA1150 - Z87 chipset - LGA1150

RAM:
    16GB or 32GB

Video card/GPU:
    Not sure yet may be in future, currently planning to use inbuilt cpu video

USB2.0 and 3.0

Hard Drive:
    SSD 120 GB or higher

Can't post the links to newegg just yet

I am very new to hardware and I am still learning so please pardon my newbie questions

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by who; 04-17-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added full configuration that I intend to build.

Linux Engineer
    Linux runs on just about any desktop these days. You shouldn't have any problems.

I prefer Asus over Gigabyte, but I'm sure either would be fine.

(I also prefer AMD over Intel CPUs, but again, just personal preference).

who
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Linux runs on just about any desktop these days. You shouldn't have any problems.

I prefer Asus over Gigabyte, but I'm sure either would be fine.

(I also prefer AMD over Intel CPUs, but again, just personal preference).
    Asus is also a strong contender at this point I don't have any preference on Gigabyte over asus I am purely going by the reviews..

Initially i was considering AMD 6 cores or 8 cores but then read some reviews and looks like Intel quadcore would be a better choice.. so selected that.

I am not planning to install a video card to the motherboard at this point but down the line i will be installing one and/or a gpu. How do I find out what types are compatible?

Also I will be installing a wifi card as well..

Thank you for your response..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Wifi cards for desktops can be flaky from what I've read, and that applies to Linux as well as other OS's. Your best bet on that front is to read the reviews for each model.

GPUs are hit or miss as far as being completely 'bug-free', but just about anything will probably work. Find a few models within your budget, and try to find some reviews. AMD and Nvidia both release OEM drivers for Linux, or they did last time I looked.

Remember, while the desktop segment for Linux is relatively small, Linux has a huge footprint inside the datacenter. Those same companies making chips for the server world are making chips for the desktop world

Most Linux distro's now have a Live CD that you can boot and run, that should give you a idea you mobo is compatible. As mizzle say most mobo these days work with Linux, the thing to watch for is video sometimes you need to install a different driver.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

who
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Most Linux distro's now have a Live CD that you can boot and run, that should give you a idea you mobo is compatible. As mizzle say most mobo these days work with Linux, the thing to watch for is video sometimes you need to install a different driver.
    In that case I will reach out to the MB manufacturer and will ask them about the compatibility. I have not built the system yet, I am in the market for parts and want to buy those which are compatible.