Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have experiened this problem quite a few times to no solution. I hope by making this post with some specific info about my hardware will help. I have an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Overall problems with installing drivers for nvidia 310M

I have experiened this problem quite a few times to no solution. I hope by making this post with some specific info about my hardware will help.

I have an ASUS A42J laptop
    nvidia geforce 310M GPU
    intel core i5
    4GB ram

I try to install and setup nvidia drivers both 32bit and 64bit.

when I restart I end up with a lot of crashing such that xorg won't start at all. Something about "no screens found"

What am I doing wrong? Could it be that my card just isn't supported. I can imagine this is Nvidia's fault right? I think they needed a couple more fingers from Linus

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to tell us the distribution+version of your operating system, as well as kernel version. Also, how are you trying install the drivers? From the operating system's package manager, or from installation files downloaded from nVidia? If from nVidia, you have to boot into text mode in order to run the installer properly. Finally, is the OS 32-bit or 64-bit? You need to install the appropriate driver accordingly.

One final thing is to ask whether there is also a built-in Intel graphics chipset in this system? Linux doesn't play well when there are two different video chip sets in the system, so if that is the case, you need to go into the BIOS and disable the Intel graphics controller - I had this issue with my Lenovo laptop.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You need to tell us the distribution+version of your operating system, as well as kernel version. Also, how are you trying install the drivers? From the operating system's package manager, or from installation files downloaded from nVidia? If from nVidia, you have to boot into text mode in order to run the installer properly. Finally, is the OS 32-bit or 64-bit? You need to install the appropriate driver accordingly.

One final thing is to ask whether there is also a built-in Intel graphics chipset in this system? Linux doesn't play well when there are two different video chip sets in the system, so if that is the case, you need to go into the BIOS and disable the Intel graphics controller - I had this issue with my Lenovo laptop.

I am currently running manjaro with kernel 3.10.30-1-MANJARO

I tried installing it from the package manager.

I believe I do have built in intel graphics. Should I disable it now? Wouldn't that leave me with no graphics rendering at all?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Linux is very good at identifying new hardware. The default nouveau driver should work if it is still installed - it is often built into the kernel, or as a dynamically loadable kernel module. If not, then uninstall the other nvidia drivers you tried to install and reinstall nouveau. If should work with your nvidia card. At worst, you may have to reinstall the OS after you disable the other chip set in the BIOS. Remember, that the default svga video port is possibly hardwired to the Intel chip set (may not be), so you may need to use one of the other video ports. Try and see by booting a live CD/DVD/USB drive after disabling the Intel video, but BEFORE you reinstall the OS. If the live Linux disc works, then you will be ready to move forward.

Do post the output of "uname -a" here. It will tell us more about the OS and whether or not it is 32 or 64 bits.

Just Joined!
    Linux is very good at identifying new hardware. The default nouveau driver should work if it is still installed - it is often built into the kernel, or as a dynamically loadable kernel module. If not, then uninstall the other nvidia drivers you tried to install and reinstall nouveau. If should work with your nvidia card. At worst, you may have to reinstall the OS after you disable the other chip set in the BIOS. Remember, that the default svga video port is possibly hardwired to the Intel chip set (may not be), so you may need to use one of the other video ports. Try and see by booting a live CD/DVD/USB drive after disabling the Intel video, but BEFORE you reinstall the OS. If the live Linux disc works, then you will be ready to move forward.

Do post the output of "uname -a" here. It will tell us more about the OS and whether or not it is 32 or 64 bits.
    uname -a gives me
    Code:
     Linux rustyraptor-pc 3.10.30-1-MANJARO #1 SMP Fri Feb 14 06:07:50 UTC 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I have heard the the proprietary drivers are better. I am all for open-source but unfortunately if nvidia just won't cooperate with the documentation I will have to use the proprietary packages. I do think nouveau is installed but how do I know for sure that it is working?

This is a reasonably recent kernel, and it is 64-bit so you will need the 64-bit installation file from nVidia.com.

As for the nouveau driver being functional, does the system boot into GUI mode? If so, then it (or something) is working. If not, boot into text mode, login, and run the command "startx" from the command line. It will generate a bunch of error messages that you can post here.

Just Joined!
    This is a reasonably recent kernel, and it is 64-bit so you will need the 64-bit installation file from nVidia.com.

As for the nouveau driver being functional, does the system boot into GUI mode? If so, then it (or something) is working. If not, boot into text mode, login, and run the command "startx" from the command line. It will generate a bunch of error messages that you can post here.
    I actually don't recall trying it from the actual website I usually just installed it from the aur. I will try this.

If nouveau is built into the kernel, you may need to blacklist it and reboot into text mode before installing the proprietary nvidia driver. Another PITA, but it usually works. Add the entry "blacklist nouveau" to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file.

Just Joined!
    The default nouveau worked fine my end. Since I intended to program in CUDA for NVIDIA cards, I had to install the latest Nvidia drivers. Over Ubuntu, I followed the steps mentioned here (GTX780 NVIDIA driver installation over Ubuntu 12.04 | GPU Computing). Modifying it as per your distribution might fix the problem for you.