Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Rubberman Most of these chips are formatted with the FAT-16 or FAT-32 file systems (depending upon size). Create the following directories (as root): mkdir /mnt/sdb /mnt/sdc /mnt/sdd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Most of these chips are formatted with the FAT-16 or FAT-32 file systems (depending upon size). Create the following directories (as root): mkdir /mnt/sdb /mnt/sdc /mnt/sdd /mnt/sde

Next try to mount each device in turn:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb
    mount /dev/sdc /mnt/sdc
    mount /dev/sdd /mnt/sdd
    mount /dev/sde /mnt/sde
    Post the error output here. If any mounted without errors, then you should be able to use the "ls" command to look inside the directory in /mnt. Do note, if these all fail, then you can also add the option "-t vfat" in the code above before the /dev/sdx argument and try again. That tells mount that you expect the file system to be some version of FAT, such as FAT-16 or FAT-32. Mount will figure it out.
    Okay, I got all four directories in place. The 16MB Olympus XD-Picture Card came right up, but the 32GB SD-HC card still won't mount. It works on my Dell Inspiron, also running Mint 16, so maybe I should use the Inspiron to re-format it? I can't even access it with this machine. It was really cool to see the 16MB card mount up like that, though.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you sure this device supports SD-HC cards? Older readers may not support them. What I do in that case is to get a cheap (about $5) SD-HC / USB adapter and just plug it into a USB port. Works great. Less filling! The adapter takes care of the SD-HC issues and the system only sees a USB drive.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Well, that's just it. I'm using the adapter for an SDHC card, because that's for what this card reader has a slot. I just brought both of them to my Inspiron, and once more they loaded right up. I have exactly the same version of Linux Mint 16, and both are 64bit. Should it matter if both of the SDHC cards are SanDisk? I always liked SanDisk, but if they are the problem, I'll get a couple others that will work. I may still just go get an external drive, like you suggest, though. I always thought a card reader would read any card it was made to read, but this does not seem to be the case. I notice that the file system on these cards is MSDOS. Wouldn't NTFS work better, or is that just the same thing? I've tried formatting memory devices with Linux ext4/swap, but they seem to be really hard to work with, requiring Super User authority to put on, and remove data. Seems there is a hardware discrepancy in many cases, as well. I don't use Mac, so NTFS should maybe be the file system to use for memory cards. I don't really know that, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2