Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Hello everyone. I'm planning to buy a piece of hardware that will enable me to do the following: 1) Configure data encryption inside it (something like encrypted LVM via NAS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Recommendations on NAS Storage purchase

Hello everyone. I'm planning to buy a piece of hardware that will enable me to do the following:

1) Configure data encryption inside it (something like encrypted LVM via NAS if possible; I do not have a lot of knowledge about NAS Storages yet).

2) Run a script that rsyncs 2 different machines. Script file will be held inside both machines and process will be cronned Daily on my work computer (that's why the encryption and paranoia about secure data storage). The other computer is used for studying and there is no need for data to be encrypted. It might be based (or be an almost exact copy) of vencatt's script.

3) I have a headless lappy (Lenovo G450 with broken monitor) that I could use for this purpose as well. I also have a Raspberry Pi Revision B (512 MB Ram, 700 Mhz ARM dual core and I could attach to it a USB HDD and have a storage / media server (which was the main purpose of the embedded board in the first place, just never had the time to read and implement it). Feel free to write on this related thread any suggestions.

I'd like to receive suggestions on model / brands. If you have done some research it is welcomed as well, along with personal usage experiences. In case it needs to be clarified, I do not use Windows on any computer. Economic pieces of hardware are preferred, and it doesn't matter if manufacturer does not ship into my country. I know some hardware retailers that are very competent and might be able to get the one you recommend the most.

Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by ivotkl; 05-03-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added URLs

FreeNAS has been around for awhile and you can get the software for free. or the sponcorsing company sells prebuild solutions.

FreeNAS Project - Open Source Storage - FreeNAS Project

FreeNAS is built on FreeBSD and uses the ZFS filesystem that brings RAID, snapshots capability.
    ivotkl likes this.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Newbie
    docbop. Thank you for your replies.

So FreeNAS Project would be for installing the OS inside the laptop and using it, just like I intended. Am I correct?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The other alternative would be NAS4Free which is said to be more suited to a home user. NAS4Free is actually a fork of an older version of FreeNAS. FreeNAS is actually a completely new code base which kept the old name. Phew!

Linux Format reviewed them both and concluded that FreeNAS is aiming more for the large business to enterprise scale and that for home to small/medium business NAS4Free will be a better fit.
    ivotkl likes this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by ivotkl View Post
    docbop. Thank you for your replies.

So FreeNAS Project would be for installing the OS inside the laptop and using it, just like I intended. Am I correct?
    I wouldn't use a laptop that would mean all your storage would be on a slow bus like USB. I would just get and inexpensive desktop box that has enough drive bays for a few drives.

Linux Newbie
    docbop. You mean using a headless desktop with RAID configuration with FreeNAS or NAS4Free installed in it?

Quote Originally Posted by ivotkl View Post
    docbop. You mean using a headless desktop with RAID configuration with FreeNAS or NAS4Free installed in it?
    Headless doesn't matter my point was I wouldn't use a laptop for a storage system it will be I/O bound. FreeNAS using ZFS so it had software RAID Z built in.

Linux Newbie
    dobcop: Great. Thanks for the update. I'll get my hands on it via virtual machine and then I'll implement it after getting a desktop PC. Is cutting edge HW needed to run it?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I don't think it needs to be too cutting edge; for comparison, I am waiting for an external hard disk to arrive at which point I'm going to set my Raspberry Pi up as an own cloud server. That will be based on Raspian.

I think both of the NAS products will use ZFS which means you will benefit from a decent amount of RAM and a mid-range processor. I believe that4 GB is a minimum for good ZFS performance which strongly suggests a 64 bit processor. Given that they are both controlled and managed from a web front-end then you should be able to skimp on the graphics. Depending on whether you want to have a mirrored, striped or non-raid set up will help you determine if the case has enough room for them.

I have no real experience of these, I did briefly run FreeNAS, the version which is now NAS4Free, and it was fine on an old dual core with 4GB. That was fairly old a couple of years ago!

[edit]
    If community is important to you then I should add that a quick browse through them shows that the FreeNAS forums seem more friendly, welcoming and helpful than the NAS4Free forums, which sadly remind me of the Debian forums when they were at their worst.
    [/edit]
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    Thank you elija. In that case, I' d like to ask you how'd you do that and which external HDD have you bought as I have a Raspberry Pi - Revision B2 and your idea sounds perfect. Mine has also Raspbian installed. =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast