Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I've been dealing with this for 2 days. First I tried with my normal wireless that came with my laptop and it wont work as it is not compatible ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no wireless in Kali or Centos

Ok I've been dealing with this for 2 days. First I tried with my normal wireless that came with my laptop and it wont work as it is not compatible with Kali. Wlan0 is not detected nor is wireless in general. So bought a Belkin card to no avail. Now I've got me a Netgear N900 model number WNDA4100. Looked up the chipset on the wireless wiki, and it said I needed rt2800usb chipset driver. I did download it onto Kali, but I'm very lost about how to actually get it installed. I have looked online and mostly it is not for Kali but for Ubuntu and some commands don't work. But even for Centos it does not work either yet.
    I know that Kali does not recognize it though because when I do lsusb, it does not come up with Netgear like what I've seen on online examples.

I am running all Linux os in Virtual Box with Windows 7 as guest. Looked online for ndswrapper and unfortunately it does not support the windows 7 drivers yet to wrap them in linux And for Kali, I have it set to a bridged connection with my Netgear card.

Has anyone had success with this card/chipset or could point me to a right direction on how to get it working pretty much step by step as I've never done it before. Thanks in advance!

Kali Linux is a special distro for pentesters not for average user. The wireless is on setup to auto-config like other distros you want to manually bring it up. He's some notes that can help, but if new to Linux you might want to consider another distro.

Been awhile since I've done it manually but here's the sequence I used to do....

iwconfig -- to get the wireless info

ifconfig wlan1 up -- bring up the device

iwlist wlan1 scanning -- get a list of the access points (AP), make note of the name of the AP you want to connect to

iwconfig wlan1 essid "AP name" enc AP_password -- connect to AP

ip link set wlan1 up -- bring up the wlan1 connection to AP

dhclient wlan1 -- get info on the connection also do ifconfig wlan1 to see the conneciton info
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Kali Linux is a special distro for pentesters not for average user. The wireless is on setup to auto-config like other distros you want to manually bring it up. He's some notes that can help, but if new to Linux you might want to consider another distro.

Been awhile since I've done it manually but here's the sequence I used to do....

iwconfig -- to get the wireless info

ifconfig wlan1 up -- bring up the device

iwlist wlan1 scanning -- get a list of the access points (AP), make note of the name of the AP you want to connect to

iwconfig wlan1 essid "AP name" enc AP_password -- connect to AP

ip link set wlan1 up -- bring up the wlan1 connection to AP

dhclient wlan1 -- get info on the connection also do ifconfig wlan1 to see the conneciton info
    Thanks. Yeah, I know that Kali is for pentesters. That's an area that I want to explore,which is why I installed Kali. But even for Centos, it only detects eth0 same as Kali.
    I did some of what you suggested already. iwconfig says 'no wireless extensions'
    Tried ifconfig wan0 up just now and it says no such device.
    Unable to do iwlist wlan0 scan as it says nl80211 not found.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonix View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I know that Kali is for pentesters. That's an area that I want to explore,which is why I installed Kali. But even for Centos, it only detects eth0 same as Kali.
    I did some of what you suggested already. iwconfig says 'no wireless extensions'
    Tried ifconfig wan0 up just now and it says no such device.
    Unable to do iwlist wlan0 scan as it says nl80211 not found.

Thanks
    I haven't used Cento is years so can't help, but there are Centos users here that should be able to help.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Just Joined!
    There is an anamoly in your explanation.. You have said that you use All Linux OS in Virtualbox with Windows 7 as guest... You mean Windows 7 as host. Right?

You can't use the wiresless card of your laptop if you are using Kali Linux (or any linux) in a Virtual machine.

This is because they see that too as a normal eth connection.

Solution:
    Insert the USB wireless card as configure it to be used only by Kali ( Dont bridge). Or, use Kali as a Live Distro...

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Assuming your WiFi is a USB dongle (that can be passed through to your Linux VirtualBox VM), then you need to visit wireless.kernel.org for help on installing (if possible) the drivers/firmware for your device. If it is a PCI device, then your host OS will have to deal with it, and you can use either bridged or nat'd networking in your VM to access it (via the host OS).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!