Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I've installed the printer Samsung ML-1210 (connected to the LPT port), under Mageia3 and it worked fine. Next, I reboot the computer and when I try to print I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

samsung ML-1210 printer not working

So I've installed the printer Samsung ML-1210 (connected to the LPT port), under Mageia3 and it worked fine. Next, I reboot the computer and when I try to print I get the message:

"Stopped - Unable to open device file: Permission denied"

So I re-install the printer, works fine, and next time I start the computer again I get the above message.

It's not a printer issue, as I have a double-boot machine, when I boot into Windows7, the printer works fine. Also, I have another printer (an HP) connected to the USB port, and that works fine (under both Windows7 & Mageia3). I suspect it has somehting to do with permissions. Any ideas on how I can fix this permanently? Thnx

Whenever you get a message like this, it means that you are trying to use a device file to which you do not have the correct access rights. The device used for printing is usually owned by root and the lp group. So to use the printer, you must (as root) add your normal login name to the lp group. Then it should work.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Thank you for replying. However, when I open up a console (as myself, not root), whe I type 'groups', 'lp' is listed, that is, I am a member of the lp group. What else could it be?

Are the ownership and permissions for /dev/lp0 the same as for /dev/usb/lp0? If one port is working with cups and the other is not, my instinct would be to compare the two device files very carefully.

When I used to have problems with cups, I sometimes changed the LogLevel line in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf temporarily from "warn" to "debug". Then try printing again and check the logs in /var/log/cups. You'll get a lot more information about precisely where in the process the error is occurring and which file it's trying to use. But remember to change the log level back again afterwards or your logs will get snowed under with bumf.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com