Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, not exactly working because it does burn DVD's but getting the Lightscribe part working so I can label my DVD's after I burn them? I've downloaded everything I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How can I get my external Lightscribe DVD-RW Drive working.

Well, not exactly working because it does burn DVD's but getting the Lightscribe part working so I can label my DVD's after I burn them? I've downloaded everything I can find under Lightscribe in Octopi from the AUR(I'm using Manjaro) and can't find a GUI in the menu and nothing happens in Terminal when I type "lightscribe" so I'm stumped. I've love to get this part of the lightscribe drive working so I can put away the Sharpie and use it to label my DVD's. Thanks.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Yep, I have all that loaded onto my laptop and don't see an icon to launch a Lightscribe app. I even tried "lightscribe" in Terminal and nothing launched. I wonder if the drive actually has to be in the laptop and not just hooked in via USB external to use the Lightscribe software? Seems like it really shouldn't matter though and it also seems that the Icon to launch an app to run a Lightscribe program would show up either way.

Linux Engineer
    If you look in the Linux RPM there is a pdf that documents the software. i.e. 4L-cli && 4L-gui

4l is said to be an "Orphan" package. I've uninstalled all of my Lightscribe stuff then reinstalled light scribe-labeler 1.18.15.1-1 and I have no icon to click to bring up a GUI and nothing happens in Terminal when I try to open it.

Ok, been doing some more looking around and apparently you also need the LightScribe System Software to use the labeler and a special Disk as well, just no regular DVD-RW disk will work. Guess it's back to the Sharpie marker.