Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i read that SSD is better than SATA, except writing and so far higher price for capacity, mainly its limitted by writting.. so i want to ask how i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lightbulb SSD writing limit, how to determine current SATA writing value?

Hello,

i read that SSD is better than SATA, except writing and so far higher price for capacity, mainly its limitted by writting.. so i want to ask how i can see current writing value of my SATA HDD to see if SSD drive in its place wont die too quickly?

quotations:

SSD Write operations: 0.01 - 5 million per cell
    source: Why SSDs? - Why are Solid State Drives much better and faster then normal Hard Disk Drives - SSD Reviews, Data Sheets and Comparison - ssdreview.com

It seems my computer does roughly 1 gigabytes worth of writing in two hours. By doing a quick calculation a 128G SSD with 3000 write cycles would last 90 years... Nothing to worry about.
    source: linux - How to get total number of bytes/sectors/blocks written to disk since booting? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

"iotop" command shows average writing rate 5Mb/s

cat /sys/block/sda/stat
    38397740 6719117 1218198474 2541208934 563384909 2231904020 22363585502 2447550014 3 2538083181 698990101
    thx
    "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux affordable VPS."

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The longevity of the device depends entirely on the controller software on the "disc". If it's write-leveling software is good, then it will last a long time. That said, I would NEVER (at this point in time) use an SSD for swap space. SSD is great for system files that are mostly read-only. As for a 90 year life-cycle? Nice dream! Theory and practice rarely meet in reality...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!