Find the answer to your Linux question:
I inherited a machine from a customer who recently replaced it with a new machine. I had intended to use it as a light duty Samba and personal web server, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Motherboard Recommendation(s)?

I inherited a machine from a customer who recently replaced it with a new machine. I had intended to use it as a light duty Samba and personal web server, but I've had enough problems with it (it stopped recognizing keyboards a couple of days ago) and Ubuntu 14.04 (refuses to reboot under 14.04) that I'm losing patience with this "free" machine.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a replacement MB to meet that light duty Samba and personal web server role. Basic requirements:

AMD compatible (recommend a processor too, please)
    ATX form factor
    4 memory slots
    Pci-e slot(s)
    onboard video
    maximum Ubuntu 14.04 compatibility

I've already got the RAID card and drives for it, as well as a couple of cases.

Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    The AMD apu series are a great value. Just about any motherboard will work in a modern machine. If your machine is old, you might need a new power supply as well. A lot of newer motherboards don't have an IDE connection any more, so find one that does or you'll need drives that are SATA.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    The AMD apu series are a great value. Just about any motherboard will work in a modern machine. If your machine is old, you might need a new power supply as well. A lot of newer motherboards don't have an IDE connection any more, so find one that does or you'll need drives that are SATA.
    I've got a current 600w PS, so that won't be a problem. I've got a couple of cases I can use as well, including the one that the dead server's in.

I already have three 500gb drives, a SATA RAID card and a couple of trayless hotswap bays, so all I really need to get are the motherboard, CPU and RAM (I prefer onboard video).

Do you have an specific preference as to MB? I've been using ECS for years. Unfortunately, the board I'd like to be doing this with died (99% sure it was bad cap(s)). My motivation to desolder caps waxes and wanes with my bank balance.

Thanks for your recommendations.

My Gigabyte model: GA-A75-UD4H with the Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Integrated Graphics: [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6550D] works fine for not much money. About $100 on ebay for the APU
    Last edited by txlonghorn; 06-30-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: add info