Find the answer to your Linux question:
'Long time listener, first time caller here.' Spent some time asking Google about "linux usb 3.0 crossover network" (and variations). I've also searched on here. All I can find is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB 3.0 Crossover / Bridge cable + USBNet?

'Long time listener, first time caller here.'

Spent some time asking Google about "linux usb 3.0 crossover network" (and variations). I've also searched on here. All I can find is some old posts (1.5+ years) with no answers.

I have two computers that I share large amounts of data siting 4 feet apart. Currently, these machines are connected through a switch to the rest of my home network using 1Gbe.

In my search, I found two versions of a crossover cable. I'm not sure I'm allowed/should post a link, they are both by DataPro the one I think will work is as "USB 3.0 Super-Speed A/A Debugging Cable". In the description is says in bold "Please note that this cable is for debugging and testing only. Windows, OS X, and Linux do not support file transfer or networking over a direct USB connection." Has this been resolved?

If I bought this cable, would I be able to configure networking between them as if it were a network device? It seems for $15, I would get 5Gbe between the two computers.

I found the tutorial on having both a network adapter configured, but using USB 2.0 with USBNet to talk to a single computer and having to setup a specific route to that host to go out the correct adapter...I can use this once I get the USB 3.0 bridge cable and correct software/drivers figured out.

Any help is much appreciated.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If they are connected via a 1GBe switch, why do you need the USB cross-over cable? Need more speed? Most sata drives cannot sustain much more than 500gbps.

Configuring USB devices for networking may be possible, but I have never tried nor researched the possibilities.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I have a zfs raid using native kernel drivers (versus fuse mount), and the raid is pretty fast. I figured if a cheap USB 3.0 cross over cable / bridge would work, it would get me a nice cheap speed bump on my desktop.

Hopefully 10Gbe will make it to the home someday. Its too expensive right now.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So this array has USB 3.0 and sata connectivity? If USB 3.0, then I assume sata 3 as well? If so, then it would be more effective to add an eSata 3 adapter to your system, still providing that "speed bump" to your system. An appropriate adapter should cost a bit more than a USB 3.0 cross-over cable, but not much - probably $50 to $100 USD depending upon the number of ports.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I have a mini server that sits 3 feet from my desktop. The mini server has zfs raid array with ssd cache. The hard drives are internal and connected with sata III (6gbits).

I was hoping to connect my server to my desktop using a usb 3 cable so I can get faster transfer between the computers. USB 3 is 5gbits, and I know that I won't get that speed. I'd be happy with 2Gbe given the cost of a USB cable.

My fear is that it might do something bad electrically if I connected the USB ports together.