Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Buying cheap temporary laptop for Ubuntu

Hey guys I'm looking for a cheap laptop for programming purpose that can run Ubuntu. I've found Acer Aspire NX.M89AA.003;V5-131-2887 11.6-Inch Laptop (On Amazon, can't post links yet...)

It has a CLI Linux distro pre-installed on it.
    Is it any good? If it is how long will the battery last? Got any different suggestion?

Thanks.

Check Blinq as they have more powerful laptops cheaper, ditto with Newegg.

About 6 months ago I bought a Core I-7 laptop with 8GB RAM and 750GB drive on Craigslist for $300 from a broke college student...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsdanielcohen View Post
    Hey guys I'm looking for a cheap laptop for programming purpose that can run Ubuntu. I've found Acer Aspire NX.M89AA.003;V5-131-2887 11.6-Inch Laptop (On Amazon, can't post links yet...)

It has a CLI Linux distro pre-installed on it.
    Is it any good? If it is how long will the battery last? Got any different suggestion?

Thanks.
    Amazon.com : Acer Aspire NX.M89AA.003;V5-131-2887 11.6-Inch Laptop : Laptop Computers : Computers & Accessories

If that is it. It looks good to me.

The Description makes me grin. Operating system, Linux. Nothing else. What a description for a sale.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As long as you have 1GB of RAM(Unity needs a bit more memory then say Xfce or even GNOME) and a 1Ghz processor you should be ok. I'd try and get at least 2GB of RAM(more then enough really unless you'll be doing video editing or graphic intensive stuff) and a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and you'll be golden. You can normally pick up good, used laptops on EvilBay with those specs for around $100 bucks if you shop around. Also, 11.6" is ok, I'm running Manjaro/GNOME on a 12.1" screen and you can see everything ok but if you can move to a 13" or 14.1" screen it's a lot easier to see stuff and it's not really all that much larger of a laptop. Either way stay 10" or larger or you'll have problems seeing stuff in open windows sometimes. I know I have "issues" with that with the little 8.9" Netbook my wife uses.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.