Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I am sorry if this has been explained before, but i have not been able to find or fix my problem and am about to give up I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GUI Crashing (suspected video driver issue)

Hello everyone,
    I am sorry if this has been explained before, but i have not been able to find or fix my problem and am about to give up I have recently decided to setup a computer for my nephew out of o lder parts from my past pc build. The mobo is an ASUS p5k with ATI Radeon 2900pro video card. I have tried Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu and all experience GUI lockups usually within 10 seconds of bootup. (this prevents me from installing Mint on the harddrive) I have done internet searches for fixes, and tried both the fxglr and open source drivers with the same results. I will openly admit this is my first time trying to run a Linux OS, but i am an experienced IT guy on windows OS. I may be missing something on the installing the driver, but i have tried countless tutorials on the console commands to setup these drivers (also included the a mesa driver) I recently pulled out my radeon 5750 and though it seemed better, the same crashes happen. I am beginning to think i may want to turn off some of the driver options such as vsync, and also to change my PCIe option to force PCIe v1 since that is what the mobo has. The problem is, i dont understand the linux kernel command structure enough to change any of the driver parameters and i didnt find a how to to do so. I can boot into a video safe mode from Ubuntu, but I am about to give up and throw windows XP on it, please helP!!!! I also tried installing an Arch based kernel as it appeared to have different radeon drivers, but Chakra and Antgos would not boot up the installer on my machine.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    thanks and God Bless,
    Stormtrupr

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try an installation that uses a text mode installer. Does it still lock up? What about BIOS settings? It may be a matter of a BIOS setting that doesn't play nice with your versions of Linux.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    ok, so i have done a clean install of Ubuntu and realized that catalyst drivers were available for my 5750 video card, so i installed those. The desktop still crashes frequently, but i can play half-life source games with no crashing(if i can start the game before the desktop crashes) so i think this rules out the power supply as a possible culprit and may suggest the video driver is ok (though im not sold on this as some of the crashes create video artifacts) I have not tried a console install of linux (like Arch Linux). As far as bios settings, i am not sure what settings i should turn on or off, but i disable the firewire port from the get go assuming driver support for firewire would be sketchy at best on Linux. I am game to try any bios setting changes someone may have.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by stormtrupr View Post
    The desktop still crashes frequently, but i can play half-life source games with no crashing(if i can start the game before the desktop crashes) so i think this rules out the power supply as a possible culprit and may suggest the video driver is ok
    If the desktop crashes, the computer is still powered on. In that case, you can simply <ctrl>+<alt>+<F1> through <F12> (but not <F7>, this one is reserved for X, the graphical server) to access a shell.

If the power supply fails, the computer reboot / shutdown whithout warnings. In that case, this can be because the PS is broken and need to be replaced or because it does not get enough power from the source.

To troubleshoot, you can use either use dmesg | more to see kernel's messages or you can take a look at every single log files in /var/log (cd /var/log). All of these are accessible through <F1>'s login shell.

To properly restart / shutdown a computer from a shell, you first need to be logged as root to that shell, and then run
    Code:
    shutdown - h now
    to halt the computer
    or
    Code:
    shutdown - r now
    to restart the computer.

Just Joined!
    the crash is a hard crash and ctrl alt anything does not work. i have tried using dmesg command, but i don't see anything that perks my interest. i think the only thing that fails is HUD controller or something like that(can't remember without checking again.) i suppose i could try copy and pasting dmesg on here if you would like.

Just Joined!
    the crash is a hard crash and ctrl alt anything does not work.
    <alt> + <F1> through <F12> then. Appearantly, this command works when you are not under X.

i suppose i could try copy and pasting dmesg on here if you would like.
    These informations are stored into a file named dmesg.0.gz under /var/log directory.

There is also a log file for the graphical protocol that you are running on inside the same directory. Take a look at it. This can be the source of the problem.

Just by curiosity, what happens if you let your computer running for a (very) long period on the logging screen ? Because if that does not crash there, then the problem is elsewhere. This logging screen is graphical and require X (or Wayland or Mir) to be ran to be displayed

Just Joined!
    Ok, its fixed! it was the video driver.

I finally was able to select the FGLRX driver from the additional drivers menu in the system config under the GUI which seemed to install everything properly. This was not originally the case and so i had been trying to manually install the driver.

How did i get it to show up? well, im not positive, but the last round of things i had done was reinstalling lightdm, uninstalling the catalyst drivers downloaded from AMD, and installing the lsb support package.

Thanks for help...it has been a long few weeks working on this when i had time.