Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I've been using Debian Wheezy (stable) with GNOME on my old HP laptop Compaq nx7010 with ATi Radeon 9200 (RV280) GPU for about two years. Since I've install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Wrong ATi GPU detected!

Hi guys,

I've been using Debian Wheezy (stable) with GNOME on my old HP laptop Compaq nx7010 with ATi Radeon 9200 (RV280) GPU for about two years. Since I've install it (from a LiveUSB), GNOME is always set in (or on, sorry my English is bad, I don't know the right word to use) fallback mode. I've tried multiple way to fix it, and on of the ways I have tried is to install fglrx (ver. 8.28, from AMD website, what only support the 'legacy' xorg 6.8 ). That incompatible driver caused GNOME failed to load so I removed it. GNOME was able to load again, well of course, still in fallback mode. Then I found out the graphic card is detected wrong as RV250. Anybody have any idea to fix this?
    And anybody have any idea to force GNOME Shell to work with my old ATI GPU?

Thanks for checking my problem!!!
    Last edited by McSinyx; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:34 AM. Reason: 6.8 detected as smile

Linux Newbie
    As was mentioned on the other forum where you posted this:

None of the proprietary drivers for that GPU will work on any modern distribution. You will have to use the free radeon driver.
    To get it working correctly you will need to install the firmware package firmware-linux-nonfree from the non-free repository.