Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are there any inexpensive 1.8" PATA/IDE ZIF SSD drives on the market right now? I'd like to add one to the Dell D420 that I picked up but all I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

1.8" PATA ZIF SSD drives.

Are there any inexpensive 1.8" PATA/IDE ZIF SSD drives on the market right now? I'd like to add one to the Dell D420 that I picked up but all I find are 32GB drives in the $70 price range which I think is way too much.
    All I need is around a 16GB SSD since I'll be running Android x86 and won't need much space.
    I did find a Samsung 30GB, 7200rpm HDD in this form factor for $30 shipped($1 buck a GB seems hight for a HDD) but nothing reasonably priced in an SSD. So does anyone have a heads up on something like this or am I stuck with the 60GB 4200rpm stock drive? Thanks.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

I bought a long time ago what you describe from a chinese distributor. It was 70 bucks for a 64gig SSD.

I bought so long ago though. Old post of mine on that netbook before I found that ssd above.

zif 1.8" PATA SSD M&A Companion Netbook

And a post reply to you in another thread after I installed the new 64gig zif pata ssd drive

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/har...tml#post946834

And lookee at what I found.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 07-23-2014 at 11:00 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

A 32GB Kingspec 1.8" ZIF SSD is what I put in my wife's (use to be mine) Netbook if you recall. For some reason there's no Trim function unless it handles stuff in a different way then the two Kingston SSD's I have in my #1 and Jr.
    I can do a "sudo fstrim -v /" all day long on her Netbook and it will give me an error saying command not found. With the Kingston SSD's I have Trim though. Wonder why Kingspec is different?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I did find this Kingspec 64GB SSD on Amazon:
    Amazon.com: 64GB KingSpec 1.8-inch ZIF 40-pin SSD Solid State Disk SMI Controller (MLC): Computers & Accessories
    I just don't know if I want to risk getting another one. The 32GB in my wife's Netbook DOES NOT have Trim, I've done a "sudo fstrim -v /" until I'm blue in the face and get nothing but an error message. Maybe I need different firmware for it or something but according to the reviews on Amazon about the 64GB it's suppose to have Trim.
    Samsung 30GB(really 40GB after formatting) 4200rpm(a closer look at the label on the drive says it's 4200rpm) HDD for $30(or eBay for $23) or Kingspec 64GB SSD for $57. Man, making this choice is way harder then it should be.

Really having a hard time trying to find a reasonably priced HDD or SSD for this little D420. If it used a 2.5" HDD it'd be a piece of cake but the 1.8" is harder to find and when you do find one they want an arm and a leg for it because dang Apple uses that size. I would really love to upgrade from the 4200 rpm HDD to at least a 5400 rpm HDD or even better yet a small SSD but even those aren't cheap if you want a good one that supports Trim. The Kingspec Does Not support Trim, no idea how it takes care of it's self and I don't want to risk having an SSD that becomes slow after use because of no Trim function.
    Guess I'll have to keep looking or hope someone here on the forum can find something inexpensive that'll work.

Found this while looking/researching my Dell xt2 netbook for a drive.

For those with slow 1.8" PATA drives wanting SATA... - Page 19

mini pci-e Msata SSD to 40pin ZIF adapter card as tohiba or hitachi zif hdd - Sintech adapter card and test tool

Basically they are saying you run a zif to mini sata board to run a mini sata drive instead of a zif drive.

You need to study up on this yourself as mine (the dell) is already mini sata capable and the only zif ssd I use is in my M&A Companion netbook.

Then you could run one of these

Hi found this one RunCore Pro IV 1.8'' ZIF PATA SSD - RunCore SSD Official Website could not check prices.

A 64GB Run Core 1.8", IDE ZIF would run me $110 bucks. Granted it's probably a better SSD then the KingSpec that I ended up ordering but the 64GB KingSpec only cost $56 bucks shipped. I just can't see putting twice as much into an SSD as I paid for the laptop in the first place. The same amount maybe but not twice as much.