Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, O.S. Ubuntu 12.04 desktop I'm now running Simple-scan and Epson Perfection 3490 photo scanner scanning photos for posting on website. But I found the quality of images saved ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Scanner selection

Hi all,

O.S. Ubuntu 12.04 desktop

I'm now running Simple-scan and Epson Perfection 3490 photo scanner scanning photos for posting on website. But I found the quality of images saved not good. I'm prepared purchasing a new scanner to do the job. On shopping I found all scanners coming with printing and faxing features, i.e. a combination of scanner, printer and fax machine. Could you please shed me some light on selecting a new scanner. I have no pre-set budget. But Linux driver available is a must.

Besides Simple-scan is easy to use but without editing feature nor setting brightness, etc. Gimp is too advance for my job. I only need scanning the exact size of the old photos including brightness and color settings. Suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Regards
    satimis

Linux Newbie
    Try imagemagick and xsane. to use image magick open a terminal and type display. on the imagemagick window click for options and right click ( or right click hold) to open images. if not installed it should be in the repository for your distro. it can be set as editor in an image viewer like geeqie makeing basic viewing and editing easier. xsane has more features than simple scan and should be available in the repository or software manager.

this link may help with xsane compatable scanners...I use an older canoscan as it is small and powers from the usb cable. the canoscan lide210 would be a newer version which may be available to you locally and appears in the xsane compatibility list as complete

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-CanoScan-.../dp/B00417GUQQ

SANE: Backends (Drivers)
    Last edited by ohmy; 08-09-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
    Try imagemagick and xsane. to use image magick open a terminal and type display. on the imagemagick window click for options and right click ( or right click hold) to open images. if not installed it should be in the repository for your distro. it can be set as editor in an image viewer like geeqie makeing basic viewing and editing easier. xsane has more features than simple scan and should be available in the repository or software manager.

this link may help with xsane compatable scanners...I use an older canoscan as it is small and powers from the usb cable. the canoscan lide210 would be a newer version which may be available to you locally and appears in the xsane compatibility list as complete

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-CanoScan-.../dp/B00417GUQQ

SANE: Backends (Drivers)
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Most the Cannon scanners available here are mid -> high end products. I can't find cannon lide210.

Canon Scan 9000F Mark II Professional CCD Scanner for photo and negative is available here. I can accept its price. But what I worry is the driver. Because Cannon doesn't contribute driver for Linux, not like Epson. Epson Perfection V330 Photo Scanner is available, not expensive.

My Epson Perfection 3490 photo scanner is still working. I think I would test it on a better scanning software first NOT simple-scan to check what will happen. I haven't scanned photos for sometime just coming back recently. IIRC previously I ran a scanning software with settings on brightness and color tone. Unfortunately I couldn't recall. I'll make some search later.

Regards
    satimis

Linux Newbie
    xsane is a graphical front end to sane which is likely already installed in ubuntu and simple scan is used as a front end. it would be best to check your package manager. see here

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/xsane/

the canoscan 9000f mark11 is listed as complete in the sane list here (sane supported devices)

SANE: Supported Devices

so to my understanding should work out of the box with xsane.

the epson v330 is not listed but drivers are available from epson here (type perfection v330 or v330 in the box and select linux from the drop down box)

EPSON Download Center

scanner information from ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Scanners

image magick is a very simple image editor and often installed in linux distros but there are other options like fotoxx, again it is best to check your local package manager prior to third party installs.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applicat...recise/fotoxx/

you may try your current scanner with xsane and or a light photo editor to see if you can improve image quality to suit your needs.
    Last edited by ohmy; 08-10-2014 at 03:01 AM.

Linux Guru
    xsane is a graphical front end to sane which is likely already installed in ubuntu and simple scan is used as a front end. it would be best to check your package manager. see here

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/xsane/

the canoscan 9000f mark11 is listed as complete in the sane list here (sane supported devices)

SANE: Supported Devices

so to my understanding should work out of the box with xsane.

the epson v330 is not listed but drivers are available from epson here (type perfection v330 or v330 in the box and select linux from the drop down box)

EPSON Download Center

scanner information from ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Scanners

image magick is a very simple image editor and often installed in linux distros but there are other options like fotoxx, again it is best to check your local package manager prior to third party installs.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applicat...recise/fotoxx/

you may try your current scanner with xsane and or a light photo editor to see if you can improve image quality to suit your needs.
    Hi,

fotoxx is available on Ubuntu Software Centre.

imagemagick is runing on Ubuntu 12.04. I frequently run "convert" on terminal to resize images. xsane and gimp are also running on Ubuntu 12.04.

I'll take your advice using my current scanner with xsane to check whether my problem can be solved. Other advice noted and thanks.

I'll come back after testing and post the test result here.

Regards
    satimis

Linux Newbie
    OK, best of luck

Linux Guru
    OK, best of luck
    Hi ohmy,

I'm now testing your suggestion and found 2 problems on running my old scanner with xsane

1) I must run it as root
    2) There is no preview on settings before scanning

1)
    I encountered similar problem before. Unfortunately I forgot its fix. Can you help saving me searching on Internet for solution because there are several suggestions?

2)
    Is there a solution other than scanning multiple images.

Please help? Thanks in advance.

Regards
    satimis

Linux Guru
    Hi ohmy,

Thanks for your links.

Have tried suggestions on several links. Suggestion on following link seems solved my problem partially.

[SOLVED] Xsane permissions, run as root - Page 2

1)
    I can start "simple-scan" as user without problem.

2)
    Starting "xsane" as user

Warning popup
    Code:
    Failed to create file: Permission denied
    [close]
    Clicking "close" starts xsane

3)
    On exiting xsane the warning popup again. Clicking "close" the warning re-popup. I have to repeat the action three(3) times to exit xsane.

I have tested my old scanner with xsane it works great without problem. The photos scanned are sharp and clear. It even works great with "simple-scan" But I have to select 600 resolution at lease. For the old photos with brown color I need to edit them on GIMP. It takes quite long time to get the job done. I'm in anticipation to find their negative.

Still I would purchase a new scanner because my old HP printer can't work properly anymore. Now all devices available on market are all-in-one, printer, scanner and faxing machine. But there is no urgency for me.

Any suggestion the brand?

Thanks

Regards
    satimis

Linux Newbie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast