Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm having trouble with my Logitech mx700 wireless keyboard. Basically, within Xorg, in any application (xterm, eterm, firefox, etc) , while I 'm typing, random spaces will appear. Even when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless MX700 Duo, Keyboard Issue

I'm having trouble with my Logitech mx700 wireless keyboard.

Basically, within Xorg, in any application (xterm, eterm, firefox, etc) , while I 'm typing, random spaces will appear. Even when I hit backspace a space will occur sometimes. And if I watch /var/log/messages while I type, the following entries are logged every time this random space happens:

Code:
    Jan  9 23:47:16 jerec atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xe1 on isa0060/serio0).
    Jan  9 23&#58;47&#58;16 jerec atkbd.c&#58; Use 'setkeycodes e061 <keycode>' to make it known.
    Jan  9 23&#58;47&#58;16 jerec atkbd.c&#58; Unknown key released &#40;translated set 2, code 0x65 on isa0060/serio0&#41;.
    Jan  9 23&#58;47&#58;16 jerec atkbd.c&#58; Use 'setkeycodes 65 <keycode>' to make it known.
    Jan  9 23&#58;47&#58;16 jerec atkbd.c&#58; Unknown key released &#40;translated set 2, code 0x0 on isa0060/serio0&#41;.
    Jan  9 23&#58;47&#58;16 jerec atkbd.c&#58; Use 'setkeycodes 00 <keycode>' to make it known.
    Ever y time this space happens, the messages above appear in the message log. Here is my keyboard config from / etc/xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
            Identifier     "X.org Configured"
            Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
            InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
            InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Keyboard0"
            Driver  "keyboard"
           Option "CoreKeyboard"
            Option " XkbRules"      "xorg"*
            Option "XkbModel"       "logicordless"*
            Option "XkbLayout"      "en"*
    EndSection
    *Note: the lines marked with an asterisk have been added during the course of my troubleshooting. I was experiencing this problem even with all of those lines removed.

Another thing I noticed is that I cannot switch to the virtual consoles while X is running. X won't recognize the keys. Similar messags are logged . Its clear that I've gotten something configured wrong, because I know there are people running this wireless keyboard/mouse combo. I shouldn't have to setkeycodes f or every key on this bloody keyboard, should I? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    I had the same problem,... Just a troubleshooting, Have you plug your keyboard and mouse in PS2 slot, if not can you try, I've reed that USB K/M uses there own protocol... (I might be wrong here)

also found this on the web
    Ghostdraconi, you need to enable USB Legacy support in your BIOS.

As for everyone else, you guys must not be loading some modules on startup. I run my Logitech Cordless MX Duo through USB and have no problems whatsoever at any stage of using my computer (Boot menu, console, X). I have used Microsoft USB keyboards and don't have any problems either.

Here are the modules you'll need on a 2.6 Kernel:
    usbcore, usbhid, uhci_hcd, usbkbd, usbmouse

For USB2 devices make sure you load the ehci_hcd module and for devices such as thumbdrives you'll need the usb_storage module.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    I'm actually already using the ps/2 connections....

I will check my BIOS settings and I suppose it couldn't hurt to play with the USB kernel modules, though I'm pretty sure I've already got them all compiled into the kernel.

I had the same problem in X booting from a Slax CD. I don't have any trouble at all in text mode or on the virtual terminals.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Could a KVM switch cause this kind of behavior? I didn't think to mention this before because I've always used this KVM switch between my main desktop and my main server, but I'm running a new server, new install of Gentoo, same KVM switch, but new wireless keyboard/mouse duo....

Linux Engineer
    Could a KVM switch cause this kind of behavior?
    have you tryed without it?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    I tried without the KVM for a few minutes and the problem didn't happen (wireless keyboard/mouse hooked up to PS/2 ports on Gentoo box). So I hooked everything back up through the KVM and just powered on my Gentoo box. The problems didn't seem to occur right away, so I switched the KVM to my other (Windows) box and powered it back on.

I switched the KVM back to my Gentoo box and things still seemed fine. I was tailing /var/log/messages and no errors were being generated. Plus, I was able to switch to the virtual terminals F1 through F6 no problem. But after switching back and forth a few times, the trouble started up again on my Gentoo box. Even a reboot of the Gentoo box while focussed on it in the KVM switch didn't seem to help.

I need to connect my wireless keyboard and mouse directly to the Gentoo box for an extended period of time (10 - 15 minutes) before I can say for certain if the KVM switch is causing my problem. But at this point it seems likely. Hopefully I can do this test tomorrow. Time for bed.

Just Joined!
    I am having a similar problem with the same keyboard (MX700 Duo) connected through a Belkin KVM (a small, 2 port unit which has the cables hard wired into it.) This is using Fedora Core 3.

It does appear to be related to the KVM as everything is ok if I don't switch to any other computer after the box has been booted. It is only when I do starting switching about on the KVM that the problems occur.
    I find that it seems to be related to the backspace key. Whenever I press it, I get the error message you quoted. Sometimes, I immediately find that a space 'happens'. At other times, it just starts the process of random spaces appearing from time to time. It seems that if the latter starts, it is possible to stop it by pressing the backspace key.
    I haven't had the problem you describe about being unable to switch between virtual consoles.

I haven't had much of a chance to do any troubleshooting yet but I hope to have some time to do this sometime this week.

Just Joined!
    I knew SOMEONE else had to be having trouble like mine

My KVM switch only has PS/2 connections. I wonder if the same trouble exists on KVM switches that accomodate USB keyboards and mice.

Oh and because I indicated the opposite in my first post, I better clarify: The problem I'm describing actually does happen outside of X as well. So its not an xorg.conf issue after all like I was originally hoping.

Just Joined!
    I'm using an IOGear 2port KVM PS/2 and i'm not experiencing the problem it might be just that brand of KVM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by redcircle
    I'm using an IOGear 2port KVM PS/2 and i'm not experiencing the problem it might be just that brand of KVM.
    Heh, that's exactly the one I'm using too. I love those little things.

I don't have my server sitting on the IOGear any more anyway. It runs headless now and I just run remote X windows or vnc sessions if I want graphics, but mostly I just use ssh for administration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast