Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have some really good news for you folks who use ATI cards. Ati has announced an official date for the new ATI video drivers with XOrg 6.8 compatability. Okay. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ANNOUNCEMENT: For those of you who didn't know....

I have some really good news for you folks who use ATI cards. Ati has announced an official date for the new ATI video drivers with XOrg 6.8 compatability.

Okay.

So we now have an official release date - it will come out with the posted next monday - the 17th January.

Once again, the development teams and web teams have procedures that we must go through. This unfortunately creates a delay between completion and posting, Christmas didn't help. Since our projected post date (mid January) ended up being right beside some other ati.com work - the two have been folded intogether.

Informing the web team to 'post the drivers now' doesn't serve to accelerate the process.

So next Monday is the day!
    So there's the news, take it or leave it, but quite frankly, I am excited about it
    http://fedora.rehat.com

$> man woman
    $> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Linux Engineer
    Can't wait to see this... My 9000 is still stored as I got a GF5200... but ill give a go as soon as they get it out...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Just Joined!

My ATI driver working up to my expectation

Hi, I recently installed the Fedora Core 3 - 64bit and the OS detected my AGP card, X800XT platinum card, as just X800Xt card. My display works well. Do you think I should still upgrade my drivers if ATI release them?

Linux Engineer

Re: My ATI driver working up to my expectation

Quote Originally Posted by muralim
    Hi, I recently installed the Fedora Core 3 - 64bit and the OS detected my AGP card, X800XT platinum card, as just X800Xt card. My display works well. Do you think I should still upgrade my drivers if ATI release them?
    don't go through the trouble unless you're playing games or movies are slow or quirky. it shouldn't be that hard to install though, so you might as well do it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mord
    See it.

http://www.ati.com
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Enthusiast
    I just installed the drivers, and have to say that I'm somewhat dissapointed. After having written an xorg.conf file from scratch just to get the drivers to work, they are slow, and although the output is quite good, they don't work with xv output on mplayer. I have to say that I am somewhat dissapointed. Though maybe I am unique and the drivers worked for somebody else?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    See it.

http://www.ati.com
    I guess I mean to say that I'll believe they work when I see it. Only, I'm not going to download them, the Open drivers for my laptop work just fine thankyouverymuch

I guess I mean to say that I'll believe they work when I see it. Only, I'm not going to download them, the Open drivers for my laptop work just fine thankyouverymuch
    I'll second that. ATI lost a lot of good will with me when my Radeon 9800 fried, not to mention their lackluster Linux drivers that take an act of congress to install.

Anything's possible though; if Jack-In-The-Box restaurants can bounce back from an e-Coli scare than ATI can step up its Linux support. I for one won't be buying ATI until I see real results and less posturing.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I was possessed by an momentary lapse of idiocy when I bought my AIW9600Pro last year. I can safely say that I won't buy another ATI card unless their Linux drivers get *much* better.

Installing them isn't hard at all in Gentoo.

Code:
    emerge ati-drivers
    ^^ That does it quite well.

As far as getting xv to work, you have to specify the option:

Code:
    Option VideoOverlay "on"
    in your Device section of xorg.conf.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy