Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm an experianced *nix user, admin and programmer but I think I must have been living in a cave the last few years as I'm just now getting around to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Some USB storage devices work, others don't

I'm an experianced *nix user, admin and programmer but I think I must have been living in a cave the last few years as I'm just now getting around to playing with USB storage. My problem is that I don't know how it works so I can't debug it. Pointers to info and/or hints would be nice.

Here is what's happing on my Fodora 3 machine:

I made a mont point in /etc/fstab called /mnt/usb. I can plug in my little 32MB USB drive and mount it. It works fine. It shows up with "lsusb" I can read/write file. All is well. My Sony camcorder (TRV33) has a sony memory stick inside. When I plug the camcorder into USB it works fine also. So there is good proof the drivers, generic SCSI and so on are all there.

Problem: Some devices simply "don't work". They don't even show up with "lsusb". These devices work under Windows 2000 and XP. The devices that fail are generic multi-card readers. I'd ike to install a card reader in an external drive bay but so far no luck with these.

I'm sure if the device will show up with lsusb I can make it go from there. But I do't uderstand what chain of events has to happen to cause a device o appear with lsusb.

So far the only documentation for debugging USB storage starts with "step one, Look at the output of lsusb." What's step zero?

Thanks,

Just Joined!

linux

In direct response to your question, Step 0 is watching dmesg and/or /var/log/messages to see if there are any entries corresponding to the connection/detection of the USB card reader device, either on boot, when its connected, and/or when you insert some type of media into the reader.

I pulled up this link for card readers under linux (there's plenty of info around, and don't worry, there's plenty of people having trouble with these bloody things):

http://www.linux-sxs.org/hardware/flashreaders.html

(There seems to be a tendency for people to compile the usb support as kernel modules rather than right into the kernel. I've had success either way.)

Just Joined!
    I don't know if you already found this but I found it today. I haven't had time to read it let alone understand it but it looks pretty complete at first glance

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    http://www.linux-usb.org/

Sorry. somehow I forgot to paste the above link in the above message