Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just build a PC to run Suse 9.2 pro on, but should have spent more time researching the HCL. The Promise RAID card does not work under Suse ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

IDE RAID controller not working under Suse 9.2, need advice

Hello,
    I just build a PC to run Suse 9.2 pro on, but should have spent more time researching the HCL. The Promise RAID card does not work under Suse 9.2 or Mandrake 10.1.

The mobo has two onbard IDE controllers. One is being used for a DVDROM, the other not used. I have four ATA/100 disks I want to use in this system. The original plan was RAID 0+1, but I am open to using the software RAID manager that comes with Suse. The question is, how do I connect the five IDE devices.

The two possible solutions I can think of are:
    1. Purchase a PCI IDE controller, and put the DVDROM on it. Then use the two onboard controllers for the four disks.

2. Purchase a pair of 2 channel PCI IDE controllers, and connect all four disks on a dedicated channel as master.

I prefer the second, but do not want to have any more issues. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Kernel 2.6 ? Could be that the promise RAID is supported in kernel 2.4, depends on the specific type you have
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I should have provided more detail. The RAID card is a Promise FastTrack 100TX2. I would like to run the 2.6 kernel. I "assumed" the card would work because I used one in a RedHat box I build for someone a while back, but it was 2.4 I beleive.

If the Promise card is not going to wotk I am fine with that, but need to determine which controller(s) will work without issues.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It does not make a lot of difference because the driver in 2.4 supporting the RAID functionality on this card was using your CPU as software RAID does.

The card was supported in 2.4, they didn't include IDE RAID for promise and highpoint cards in 2.6 yet. The normal IDE functionality should work fine though.

Are there speed differences in both controllers ? My onboard highpoint supports ATA 100 where my other onboard IDE controller supports only ATA 66. So my choice would be to connect all hard drives to the fastest controller and the rest to the slower controller. If that's not the case I would connect everything to the controllers you already have onboard.

If you want to buy a better RAID controller , 3ware has excellent ATA RAID controllers and they are supported in Linux (see www.3ware.com ). But that is probably a more expensive solution.
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    I tried setting is up as a JBOD, with the drives hanging off the Promise card. It failed installing some packages (which I thought was strange), and would not boot afterwards. Both of my onboard controllers are ATA/100.

At this point, I plan to use software RAID. I guess I will pick up a PCI IDE card to hang the DVDROM off of, and use the onboards for the drives.

Thanks

I was under the impression that you had a board with 4 connectors / 8 IDE possibilities/ 2(*2) controllers. If so , what's the advantage of connecting the DVD not as a slave but on a seperate (third) controller ?
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    I have a board with 2 connectors, or 4 possible IDE connections. I want to connect 4 disks and a DVDROM, requiring 5 connections.

Just Joined!
    Hello, I ended up downloading the latest Fedora from RedHat, and it worked with the Promise card. I ended up spreading the OS across the first 5GB of each disk, then used the remaining space in a 3+1 RAID 5 volume. Works like a champ.