Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Remove write protection

Hey:

If I've missed this in another post, I apologize. Anyways, I have a Lexar 16Gb USB drive that, somehow, got "write protected". I need to remove this and so far, all that I've read/tried on youtube and web have failed. I, (I apologize) have been using Win7 to TRY to correct this problem and of course, it's failed! So, what would you do to remove this "write protection" from the USB drive? BTW, any ideas on how it got on there in the first place? I've used this drive previously and it didn't have this "feature"! Just for the record, I've tried using the command (cmd) line method of Win7 and tried opening "properties" but to no avail. Sorry(I truly am) that I'm using Win7 at this time, but that's all I have available...for now!! Oh, the drive is formatted in FAT32.
    Appreciated:
    Rick

What says it's write protected? Win7? There is no physical write-protect hardware on a standard USB flash drive. If the OS decides it's read-only, then you have to tell the OS it's RW. On Linux, you should be able to mount the drive as read/write using the mount command. I have no clue as to how to do it in Windows.

I don't know how to mark this thread 'closed" but not solved. The pendrive was replaced by Lexar...although that solved my problem, that's not an answer to most of the 'drives" that experience "write protection". Probably, most drives are NOT under warranty.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    RE: sgosnell

LOL "What says it's write protected". Gee, IDK...maybe the fact that when mounted it reads "this device is write protected"

16 Gb ? Sixteen gigabars. Never seen such a drive. My drives measure in GB - gigabytes.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixter69 View Post

LOL "What says it's write protected". Gee, IDK...maybe the fact that when mounted it reads "this device is write protected"
    the 'what" we were asking about was what PROGRAM gave you that message, and when. so instead of waiting 2 yrs to LOL about it, think about what was asked first. and most of those thumbdrives fail pretty quick anyway.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixter69 View Post

the 'what" we were asking about was what PROGRAM gave you that message, and when. so instead of waiting 2 yrs to LOL about it, think about what was asked first. and most of those thumbdrives fail pretty quick anyway.

Linux Guru
    it seems rixter69 has been asking similar question on different forums (i think they go under 69rixter on LQ, but it's unmistakably the same person), received all sorts of different answers, same as here basically, but never accepted them, instead demanding that people who have "nothing helpful to say" should just shut up.

apparently the only valid answer would have been a magical secret backdoor code that instantly fixes the drives. something extremely leet, the sort of under-the-table information one gets only from the nice guys on the cool forums.

now op is blaming us on linuxforums, saying people elsewhere are more friendly, but the pattern is exactly the same as over on LQ...
    that's another hallmark of the malicious internet troll: trying to play different communities against each other.

Linux Guru
    wixter69, the "69" in your handle reminds me of a joke:
    - why does the dog lick his balls?
    - because he can!
    a snake biting its tail, sortof.
    maybe that's also because the first part, wixter, sounds a little like the german word for "wanker".

Linux User
    -->
    Dear 69,

What the heck? Why wait two years to respond?

This is probably the weirdest thing I've seen in a forum. I must say I'm genuinely intrigued. Please answer the following questions honestly:

1- Did you have to sleep for two years to recover your strength? Sort of like Odin maybe?
    2- Did you go to war? Was this bugging you while you were fighting the enemy?
    3- Were you in a coma? Did this give you the strength to wake up?
    4- Are you a ghost? Are you here to haunt those who didn't help you fix your drive in your previous life?
    5- Did you sell the drive and then purchased it again without knowing it? Can you return it?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Carter.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk