Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Raspberry Pi or another CCTV solution?

I am looking for a CCTV monitoring solution. Currently I am using 4 USB cameras and a laptop + SSD to run the system. I am looking for an inexpensive solution to replace the laptop due to the power requirements of the environment (basically, the laptop uses too much power and is too bulky). So I looked into the Raspberry Pi and was wondering if it was possible to hook it up so it runs the cameras instead of the laptop. Its' power source is perfect: USB.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am open to suggestions, such as replacing the USB cameras with 4 regular cameras (ones with an analog signal).

I own several RPI and while I have never used the camera option I can provide a little RPI experience. The RPI has a dedicated connector for a single camera and it is reported to work very well. However, from personal experience I can tell you the RPI has very low current capability for the USB ports. The on board power supply is known to be a problem area. For example folks that have added hard drives report the RPI has heat and power problems.

So, when connecting an external device to the RPI that requires power, you can expect to need an external power source too.

Here are a few links; multiple cameras required multiple PI's.
    pimylifeup dot com/raspberry-pi-security-camera/
    techradar dot com/how-to/build-a-raspberry-pi-cctv-camera-network#
    raspberrypi dot org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12020