Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Soooo ....

I did "guess" that it was a -L and not a one. One of these days I need to download the syntax commands for linux. Brings me back to the good old days of dos

I just installed xsane and gscan2pdf .... I didn't know how to check if they were installed so I just did the sudo apt-get install command for both. It did install so maybe they were not there ?

I searched around a bit for the sane folder. Found it at usr/lib64/sane

It had 3 files in it ... libsane-brother4.so .... libsane-brother4.so.1 ....... libersane-brother4.so.1.0.7

uname -a .... Linux michael-MS7357 4.4.0.53-generic #74-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 15:59:10 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I shut down the computer .... restarted .... tried the scan again. First time pulled the sheets through the document feeder ... created a blank pdf file.

Tried again .... created a blank pdf file without pulling the sheets through the feeder.

Not sure where I should go from here. Any thoughts or is it time to give up?

Private message sent to Doss.

Thanks again ..... Mike

Hey,

So I might know whats wrong.

So according to this answer on the ubuntu forums I referenced earlier 64 bit systems need to make some symbolic links. Don't worry its not as hard as it seems.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /usr/lib/sane
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother3.so /usr/lib/sane/libsane-brother3.so
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother3.so.1 /usr/lib/sane/libsane-brother3.so.1
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother3.so.1.0.7 /usr/lib/sane/libsane-brother3.so.1.0.7
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libbrscandec3.so /usr/lib/libbrscandec3.so
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libbrscandec3.so.1 /usr/lib/libbrscandec3.so.1
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libbrscandec3.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libbrscandec3.so.1.0.0
    Just copy and paste those lines one at a time and try it again. If its still not working we probably need to copy a few more files, but we are definitely on the right track!

About the command line syntax, with most programs you can do --help to get a summary of functionality and man to get the full description.

For example:
    Code:
    sane --help
    or

Code:
    man sane
    Try it out.

Doss

since the files I have under the sane folder are "libsane-brother4.so", should I change the ones in your code to "4" or leave them as "3" ?

Thanks so much for the hint on the "--help" function!

Like I said .... I had to use dos at one time ( and still use them from time to time ) ...... I should be able to get use to using the linux command window.

Thanks ..... Mike

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hey,

Yes, use the 4s that post was old so the files have been updated.

Doss