Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem with wireless mouse

I have a logitech M310 Wireless mouse. It doesn't operate in Kali Desktop, but it works fine in windows and bios.

I searched the prior threads and wasn't able to find an answer to this problem.

Yes it has fresh batteries. Yes I set USB Legacy.

I am also having problems with sound. lspci does list an installed audio controller, but sound lists no output devices at all. My speakers are internal.

If a post is too long and unstructured I might miss important information.
    How to ask smart questions | You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Not amused. I use Kali often.

That isn't an answer I can accept.

I have my doubts. Kali users are experienced Linux users, if they had a problem with mouse they would solve it in no time without posting beginners questions. If they had a problem they couldn't solve their help request would look very different. And they would not care about sound, it is not needed to use Kali.

So I'm a CyberSec student learning creepy, harvester, metasploit, nmap/armitage, snort, and wireshark, and I know enough for basic admin on linux (User configurations, hard drive/monitor management, and permissions). True, sound isn't needed for any of that, but useful for watching more tutorials.

Wireless Mice simply wasn't covered when I got Linux+, though I wager it's something to do with /dev

Maybe I shouldn't be using Kali from a user perspective as I'm not completely skilled with Linux, but it has all the tools I need.

Clearly, I won't find help here. Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by RTiger View Post
    So I'm a CyberSec student learning creepy, harvester, metasploit, nmap/armitage, snort, and wireshark, and I know enough for basic admin on linux (User configurations, hard drive/monitor management, and permissions).
    in that case you would have provided us some real information about the problem, commands issued and output received etc.
    qed.
    How to ask smart questions | You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!

Ok, you bring up a nice point.

Eventually, I did notice an error message, but it was right after init and the screen moved too fast for me to read it properly. Ultimately, I used a different wireless mouse to fix the issue.

This has shown me, if nothing else, my admin skills are probably not enough for Kali, so I switched to the linux I learned with, CentOS 7. I'll just access the Kali tools separately.

Quote Originally Posted by RTiger View Post
    I did notice an error message, but it was right after init and the screen moved too fast for me to read it properly.
    Code:
    dmesg|less
    someone claiming to have linux admin experience would've known that.

This has shown me, if nothing else, my admin skills are probably not enough for Kali
    it is not about how much skills you got, it's about whether kali is the right tool for the job.

looking at all the newbs posting about problems after installing kali - as a deayly desktop system - it is NOT the right tool for the job.

but i applaude your ability to make a critical reflection and correct your ways.
    something that cannot be said for 99% of all "kali noobs" i come across on various forums.

if you still have a problem with that mouse why don't you start a new thread, maybe we can figure sth out.

Yeah, I was already aware that Kali is a specific tool for a specific job, which is why I installed it onto an old laptop, not my main desktop. It's best thought of like a hammer, you don't carry it with you all the time, only when you need it. Even though I now switched to CentOS, it's likely not going to be my primary system.

I'll probably investigate this more when I get time, if nothing more then to have a puzzle to solve.