Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally got a modem for my Linux box the other day, went to plug it in, and I have no serial port. Yeah, I shoulda checked this before I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Serial modem, no serial port

I finally got a modem for my Linux box the other day, went to plug it in, and I have no serial port. Yeah, I shoulda checked this before I ordered the modem, but it's too late now. So I am wondering what the best way to hook it up would be. The way I see it I have three options. I could get a serial-usb adapter and plug it in a usb port, I could get a serial i/o card, or I could hook it up with a parallel cable. Well since I have a parallel cable (and port!) and I don't have any of the other stuff, could a serial modem work plugged into a parallel port? It's just a regular parallel connecter on the modem, but I don't want to go and spend an hour digging out the cable if I know it won't work. So hopefully someone will tell me at least that it might work (and not that it won't work) so I don't have to spend money I don't have on something I don't have

if you have thge space, get a serial IO PCI card. This should then be recognised by Linux, making the plugging in of the modem easy to configure as far as Linux is concerned. Or you could try sending it back and see if you can get a USB modem in its stead.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    Well I'm told by a few people that it's not a parallel port on my modem, it's actually a 25 pin serial port (even though a parallel cable will plug into it). And a serial modem plugged into a parallel port won't work. I don't have the option of exchanging the modem, because there is no usb modem for the same price and I don't have the money to pay the difference. I don't have the money to pay for a serial i/o card, the cheapest I could find is $25 plus shipping, and that's money I don't have. At least the serial-usb adapter is $15, even though I don't have that money either. So now I'm pondering hooking the modem up to my 486 and letting that serve the internet to my other box...

Would be nice if someone would just give me some money to buy these things

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Serving internet with that 486 isn't a bad idea. Getting a serial card is probably the best way though. I'm not sure how well linux works with those USB -> serial adapters, but then again I haven't really looked into it.

And you're right, that's a 25 pin serial connector on your modem. You'll need a DB9 to DB25 cable, which hopefully came with it. Otherwise they are easy to make, but you'll have to get the ends.

one l;ast thing, this 25 pin socket on the back of your PC, is it male (ie. the socket has pins in it) or female (ie. the socket has holes where pins would go)? If it's male, then in all likelihood it IS a serial connector (and you'll just need a cheap format changing adapter (25 - 15 or 25 - 9 depending upon what your modem has) , if it's female then it's probably a parallel printer socket.

One further last thing (in fact, amongst the last things... ) does your motherboard have the connectors for a serial socket on it (and perhaps just needs some sort of connector cable). I must admit that I thought that all ATX form motherboards came with a serial socket, but, then, I don't know what sort of PC you have.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I recently bought (off of ebay) a Belkin usb-serial adaptor. Model number is: F5U103, and it worked great on my laptop running fedora core 3 without having to compile, install, or configure anything. If you do have problems, there are several resources on the net with instructions just for that particular usb-serial cable. (along with a a few others). I recommend checking into it.

Just Joined!
    one l;ast thing, this 25 pin socket on the back of your PC
    While I'm sure very old computers have had 25 pin serial connections, I've never ever seen one. They've all been parallel ports IME.

Linux Engineer
    It's a parallel port on the motherboard, it's a flexatx board with no serial port. I'm looking to buy a usb-serial adapter thing when I get some money, but until then I'll be serving up the internet with my 486, which does have a serial port.